Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What rhymes with "purple"?

     The questions raises a question of vocabulary and it's usage.  We have all sorts of words or phrases that simply make no sense.  Outside of the dictionary we can find slang or abbreviated words that do rhyme with purple.  Why would we need to do that?  The question doesn't have any value other than to cause people to go "Oh."  Not really high on my list.  So what good is the question?  It's like being asked: "Have you stopped beating your wife/husband/child/pet?"  If you answer yes or no you tricked into admitting your actions.  No win questions have little or no value to our communication. 
     Controversial questions are usually used to bring up someone's emotions.  Condoning statements are used to justify angry feelings while condemning questions are used to keep our fear from coming to the surface.  Simple question can fall into many different feelings like anger to happiness.  The "real" question is where are we in our development as men and women of God.  I can feel the tension increase even as I type these words and you read them.  We're taught as young adults that money and religion are best left unaddressed for peace's sake.  Let's not forget the question and answer realm of the politically correct. 
     Maybe it would be easier to find a word that rhymes with purple.  Not accounting for where we live and our usage of a word is a fatal flaw waiting to be misused.  Between foreign understanding and our understanding is a chasm not many want to cross.  An insult to us isn't an insult to others.  A greeting here is offensive there. 
     I was once in the process of being ordained as a minister.  It was required that anyone who wanted to be ordained go through the process.  One step in the process was an interview with a board of professors from the college and other notables from the denomination.  At one point in the interview I was asked to give a brief summary of my belief.  I thought for a while.  I knew they were asking a questions to see if I would be "their kind of pastor."  I couldn't bring myself to project a certain philosophical belief anymore than I could a particular Christian belief.  So, I told them: "Jesus loves me this I know because the Bible tells me so."  You could have heard a pin drop as they wrestled with my answer.  You couldn't challenge the statement and yet the desire to nail me down to their idea of what a good pastor should believe and follow. 
     When we are backed into a corner there is a nervous and sometimes a defensiveness that is brought up within us.  This is often all it takes for good people to say nothing.  The result is evil advances.  Having the ability to stand up for what you believe is imperative and courageous.  Not having an answer for your faith/belief is hinders people from sharing their faith.  Seems that at least in the United States that there are very few topics talked about where people are able to freely have their say.  Conquering our fears and speaking emboldens us to share the Gospel with others.  Doing that task wisely is essential if we are to be believed and heard.  So, then, our faith in God needs to grow as we age.  The vocabulary of the Christian needs to be appropriate for our culture.
     When I graduated from seminary a wise instructor told me: "Steve, when you graduate you will have a vocabulary of about 15,000 words.  The average person sitting in your church will have a vocabulary of 5000 words.  Somewhere between here and there you need to lose 10,000 words."  One of the best pieces of advice I have every had given to me.  It doesn't matter that there is no word to rhyme with purple.  It matters that the color purple is the color of royalty.  Purple is the color of robe that Jesus wears.  That is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment