Saturday, October 25, 2014

What color is your elephant?

     Sometimes my elephant is white and sometimes pink.  The majority of the time my elephant is gray.  Whenever the elephant is missing things seem to go well.  It's when the elephant is in my house that things go from good to not so good.  Often the going is rough and difficulties arise.  When I look at my elephant, I see a docile klutz who has little purpose in my life.  I have never seen my elephants get angry.  They seem to sense that change of weather is coming and take me away.  When I wake up, the elephant is gone.  Always around the corner waiting for it's cue to come in and sit on my coffee table.  Do you have an elephant as well?
     But, wait, aren't Christians supposed to give their elephants to Jesus?  Yes, of course that is the perfect choice.  However, seldom are we in the correct frame of mind when the elephant makes their appearance.  I wish it were that easy.  It's not that I don't like elephants.  I like them in the wild, the zoo or maybe even the circus.  Those are all places where I am not.  Sometimes when I am really aware, I find that there is more than one elephant in the room.  When things get to the place where there is a whole herd, I need room to breath and step outside.  I take a break.  I go to a place where I can feel safe and am able to think.
     The elephant, for most of us, is our own unresolved issues.  That is part of the problem as to why we don't give our elephants to Jesus.  You may have the elephant at work, your relatives house, and even in your church.  Heaven forbid!  Needless to say, unresolved issues are not of God.  The issues are from us, our selves, me.  It gets nasty when everyone brings out their elephant.  The crap begins to pile up until there is critical mass.  When we get to critical mass we either find a way to resolve the issue or we find a way to get the elephant(s) to leave the room.  It's even nicer when they leave he house.  Denial is a wonderful thing until someone gets hurt.
     This isn't about perfection.  This is about forgiveness of others and yourself.  This is about acknowledging who we are and being vulnerable toward God and others.  When we admit where we are and ask for help, God gives that help.  It may seem that help hasn't come but even a break from the elephant tending is welcomed.  Have you ever thought about how the elephant is fed?  Have you considered how much feeding has to take place to keep the elephant around?  Sometimes life is hard and disappointing to all of us.  The ones who deny this aren't telling the truth.  Life is hard!
     Jesus said he would never leave us nor forsake us.  The elephant says the same thing.  We want Jesus to stay and help us with all aspects of our life.  The elephant likes things the way they are.  Sometimes the status quo is better for us.  I don't like the status quo.  Maybe you don't like it as well.   I don't know the answer to your story and your elephants.  Over the years I've put many elephants out to pasture with the help of Jesus and others.  I've been helped by reading Scripture, hearing sermons, talking with counselors, listening to friends and many other sources of help.  It takes someone with courage to get the elephants to leave.  Do you have the courage to give your elephants to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment