Monday, April 28, 2014

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Woke up with thoughts of Jesus on my mind.  Good start to the day!  Then I got up...  You see, my mind is my worst enemy.  When the mind begins to be independent of my love for Jesus; there is chaos.  My mind seems to be fixated on all that woulda, coulda, or shoulda happen.  This is instead of what would, could, or should happen when I have Jesus as the only focus of my life.  Paul wrestled with this.  As did many Christians over the years.  I'm not alone.  I could say that "I am just human." and be content with my failures but that isn't what God wants me to say.  God simply wants me to say, "Yes."  Nothing more and nothing less.  He doesn't want me to say it to yesterday.  Yesterday is gone.  Learn from it and move on.  HE doesn't want me to say it for tomorrow.  Tomorrow (Matthew sermon on the mount) has sufficient issues of it's own.  God wants us to say "Yes" to this moment.  The inability of us to do this is indicative of how we are ineffective we are in our daily walk.  Tied up by thoughts of the past and incapacitated by thoughts of the future, we do little or nothing of what God wants.  When we are distracted by yesterday and tomorrow we can only give what little is left over to being available for God and what his mission in our lives is all about.  It's not that God doesn't offer his help.  He does.  It's not that God doesn't offer his wisdom.  He does.  it's not that God doesn't talk with us about what he wants us to do.  He does.  Are we so preoccupied with yesterday and tomorrow that we miss today?  While it's true that we do remember the past; we don't need to be controlled by it.  It's similarly true that we should look forward to this or that.  However, we shouldn't be controlled by that either.  Should we relinquish our day to God, we would have peace, wisdom, direction and fulfillment.  It's all our choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment