Sunday, April 27, 2014

Better late than never...NOT!

Why is it we are the busiest on the days we have the least planned?  I know the answer.  The question is rhetorical.  When we don't have something scheduled we have space that others can fill in and we don't have to be careful to have completed something by a certain time.  I don't like it when I run out of time in the morning before I've written the blog for the day.  However, it happened again.  I could say something like, "Everything in God's timing." or "Something came up."  When we are looking for an excuse we settle for just about everything.  God and those we love don't want us to make excuses though.  It's not what is expected of us.  It's clear that God knows what we will do with our time every moment of every day.  Our friends and relatives aren't so lucky.  When we see them later in the week we might find ourselves saying, "I'm sorry, I meant to...(call, drop by, email, go out with them...) or some other statement that doesn't cover what they want to hear from us.  I've done this many times in my life.  I didn't think it was right then and don't now.  However, I repeat that cycle in  my life from time to time.  So our habits are formed and pretty soon we are being treated by our relatives and friends just like they are treated by us.  People drift apart and no longer are in contact except to put on their Christmas card or letter once a year.  We lose each other.  The same goes for our relationship with God.  We don't make the time to listen.  We don't make the time to learn.  We don't make the time to wait.  We don't make anymore time than the hour or so on Sunday morning.  We dust the Bible off when we have a crisis.  We pray over our meals but not in public lest we offend someone.  We memorize the statistics of our favorite team, the popular secular music or saying of some wise man that isn't.  We are late in meeting with God.  We are late in living for God.  Most will likely be late for the rapture.  Oops!  Did I just say that?  Maybe we've neglected the most important item telling ourselves we would get around to it, that we would do this right after whatever came up.  But a lot don't.  The rapture will come in "the twinkling of an eye." (one/ten thousandths of a Nano second for you nerds) and those who have made a decision for Jesus will be gone.  Not even a blip on the radar.  We'll just be here one Nano second and gone before the next Nano second.  The mass hysteria will begin with people who wonder where we went.  The politically correct will spin the whole thing.  Some will say that this rapture thing didn't even happen.  Yet, in this case, the Bible tells us that later is not better than nothing.  Better late than never?  For me, not on my life.  This is one engagement I entered into when called.  I am not always on time otherwise.  Will He find me waiting?  Yes.  Will He find you waiting?  Only you know.  Remember it's not better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment