Saturday, April 12, 2014

Enough for the day...

It's been a full week.  I'm happy that it's over and yet sad that it's gone.  The Bible tells us to live one day at a time.  Tomorrow will take care of itself and the future is already written.  So why do I worry or am preoccupied with what tomorrow shall bring?  The easy answer is to say that I was taught to be this way.  The complex answer is that I know how the story ends.  That has me concerned.  I've only once read the last chapter of a book before I reached it.  Ruined the rest of the book!  So, I don't do that anymore.  I imagine some of you do so as well.  Anyway, there I was minding my own business when the Lord beaconed me to read the Bible to the end.  So, I know how the story ends.  I'll be in heaven.  The end goal of my life is to not only go to heaven but to bring others with me.  So, this past week I have worked to attain that goal (bringing others to Jesus, not going to heaven) and feel good about what I've done.  Some weeks are more difficult than others to end the week feeling like you have made a difference.  Then there are the weeks when we are so glad it's over and we've felt like a complete failure.  This past week was good.  Today is good.  I don't know about tomorrow or next week.  Living in the moment was what Jesus meant when he said that we should let tomorrow take care of itself.  God can take care of all time and he can take care of next week.  Some other highlights of last week included my kids telling me they loved me!  I counted my blessings and they live in different parts of the USA.  Thank you for blessing me with your love as well.  Then I spent time out in nature (if picking up dog piles is spending time in nature!) and smelled the great spring air.  Having been skipping along through the week you can guess my surprise when I discovered that I had WEEDS in my flower beds!  I immediately looked up and down my block to see if I could find hints that identified the culprit who planted them there.  I still have weeds.  I'll probably have weeds until Jesus takes me home.  It's like that in my personal life as well.  Except, most of the weeds I have planted there.  No need to look up and down the street to find the guilty party.  I am he.  So, I turn to the Creator to take over the job of removing the weeds.  Some are shallow and others are rooted deep and take time to fully eradicate.  It's a dirty job and someone needs to do it.  The weeding process takes just as long as I delay the task.  Standing in my way is one thing; but to stand in the way of the Lord is quite another.  Why would I do that except to avoid the process.  There are many items in our lives that we don't want God to look at for fear he will discover yet another stash of donuts that have to be eradicated.  And you thought I only stashed chocolate!  So the struggle goes day to day with life.  Some days and weeks I've struggled too much.  Other days and weeks too little.  If there is a happy medium I found it this past week.  I'm thankful for the lessons learned and for the opportunity to share them with others.  Today is the day that the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it. Good advice.  Have a great day and great next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment