Monday, April 14, 2014

The dilemma of the "to do" list...

When I was working there were two items essential for me to keep up with the demands of my work.  The first was my trusty calendar which directed me to do this and that but not that and this.  :)  I religiously updated my calendar every day (sometimes even on the weekends).  I never crossed off items on the calendar because that just looked to yucky!  The other item essential for my life back then was my "to do" list.  This list (I actually had two; one for home and one for work) was of major as well as minor tasks that needed to be accomplished.  They, for the most part, reminded me of the never ending task of work and home work.  Thus over the years they gained a negative connotation and groans from me with each new item that I put on the list.  It was quickly apparent that I had fallen into the maze of "to do" items.  Never mind that it was I who created the list!  When I retired the work list went away.  For whatever reason the home list became longer.  It was then that I learned that the items on our "to do" lists are directly dependent upon the time we have free.  Quite sneaky if you ask me.  So, I still have my "to do" at home list which I update whenever something needs to be crossed off or added to the list.  Many years ago I had a very different "to do" list.  I kept a small notebook in which I wrote down prayer requests with the date that the request was written down.  Each day I would review the list and cross off whatever prayer had been answered.  After doing this for a couple of years I decided to review the whole list.  To my surprise (even though it shouldn't have been a surprise) all the prayer requests to within a couple of months were completed.  Not one prayer request was left unanswered!  Wish I could say the same for my home "to do" list!  When we pray and leave an item for the Lord, he is faithful and answer.  The answer may not be the one we wanted, however, the request was answered regardless.  God is faithful and listens to our requests and answers our prayers.  In closing there is a need to keep ourselves thankful to God for all that he brings about.  When God wrote a "to do" list, the Son came to earth and fulfilled that list by giving his life for yours.  Jesus' resurrection was the crossing (no pun intended) off that item from the "to do" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment