Saturday, April 26, 2014

Freedom in surrender

Here it is the weekend and I still have projects and chores undone from the week.  Yet, I'm asked to surrender time and resources for the day.  It's not unpleasant and not really a choice.  Time spend investing in other's lives is always good.  It would seem that a lot depends on who you are investing your time with.  If the person(s) are someone God has directed you to care for then there is no cost too great.  We tend to have our relationships ordered this way as Christians even if the bigger picture isn't Christian at all.  Here is what I mean.  We look at our lives (first mistake, it's His life in me) and then the other person(s) life (second mistake, it's Christ in him) and as a result determine whether it's worth it in our estimate (third mistake, "our" is His determination).  We keep our lives so busy that we don't have the time, don't take the time or worse, don't give the time to what Jesus wants.  We do not take the time to look at our world and those in it from Jesus' point of view.  I think we do this for several reasons.  I know these reasons because I have or still use them in my life.  First, we are fearful of what God will ask us to do.  Second, we are fearful of having to interact with those we don't want to interact with.  Thirdly, we are fearful of having our lives exposed for what they are.  This is all wrong!  If we are fearful of God, we cannot at the same time love him.  God is love.  If we can rationalize and justify our desires (selfishness) then it's understandable that we cannot love others as God loves us.  God is love.  Should we deny our sin (that's what it is) we deceive ourselves and the love of God is not in us.  God is love.  I know that God wants my surrender to all areas of my life.  While I have some measure of surrendering, there is so many other areas of my life where I take the reins.  If I take the reins, then I've also rejected the Lordship of Jesus in my life.  I hate that and yet, I do just that.  The times I have done what God asked and talked to this person, helped that person, understood those people; God has blessed me beyond any imagined measure.  When I do the will of God I am free.  Surrender has a negative connotation and so we shy away from using that word.  Yet, it's a positive word when we talk about doing the will of God.  When I am surrendered (obviously not all the time) then I am blessed with peace.  When I don't surrender there is no peace.  When I let Jesus order my life there is nothing that interrupts his will in my life.  Yet, when I say "No." to Jesus, my life is in disorder.  Have you ever had that feeling after the fact that what you have done, said, or thought was exactly the right thing to do?  It felt great, didn't it!  When I plan my life past today I'm planning to order my life.  When I remain available to God there is little for me to do but wait and do what he wants.  What God wants is for us to let him bless us...all the time.  What would our lives and the lives of those around us look like if we took life one day at a time and just did what Jesus asks us to do?  It would look like peace.  Peace is a great feeling.  When it's the peace of God that passes all understanding (human) then it's really great.  Today I have the choice to bless or curse others in my life.  The choice is all mine.  Today I'll let go of my choices.  It would nice to do this perfectly yet I know that won't happen so I'll put a bucket of peace and forgiveness when I don't do what I'm supposed to do.  Our lives should reflect the love of God alongside the mercy and grace of God.  There is no sense looking back as that "time" is gone.  There is no sense in looking past today as that "time" hasn't come.  So, for right now the choice is to rest in his peace and do his will.  I wonder what God will bring into my path today?

No comments:

Post a Comment