Thursday, September 19, 2019

Through the valley with Steve

     Okay, maybe you weren't there with me.  Maybe someone else was or maybe no one at all.  The valley still existed and I still had to go through it.  The choice was made when I woke up.  To early.  But to God's credit, I did wake up.  Then I had to face getting out of bed.  I sometimes convince myself I can stay in bed because I am retired and alarms are for working people.  Then it happened!  My bladder alarm went off!  Rushing to the bathroom signified I had lost the war and was headed into the valley.  No going back at this point.  What?!  The coffee didn't make itself!?  The enemy is really trying to get to me overtime today!  But the coffee did get made.  I had run out of my regular stuff and had to substitute something that was supposed to be coffee.  I don't know what it was but I only had half a cup and dumped the rest.  With little to no coffee inside of my blood I began to think how I could overcome this tragedy.  Of course, go to the local fast food joint and get a cup of java.  It may be cheap, but it tastes like real coffee!  But, on the way I ran into another valley problem...commuters!  Taking to the streets in their own Indy cars and trucks it's a race to see who can jostle to the head of the pack.  I returned home with my coffee refusing to get into the competition.  Good choice.
     No, it didn't stop there.  Having to get Elenore (my 1990 Mercedes 560 SEL) towed to the shop was almost more than I could bear!  Leaving her in the hands of a sympathetic mechanic that I respected left me feeling better.  Leaving the mechanic and the love of my life, I headed to the hospital to visit a person recently out of surgery.  Not to be left alone a woman driving a delivery van tried twice to run me off the road!  I eluded her on a side street and lost her.  Unfortunately I was now lost myself.  My valley gets me every time.  Made it into the friends room just in time to watch the staff inflict more pain.  He already had a broken femur, 4 broken ribs, lacerated right ankle in need of numerous surgeries.  My valley didn't seem so bad now.  That would change when I exited the hospital and joined traffic still rushing to places unknown.  I chose the back roads to avoid the onslaught of the woman in the delivery van.  Smiling at my cleverness I was cut off suddenly by a small electric car moving just as fast as a sloth!  Being patient isn't one of my endearing qualities but God is working with me on this.  I eventually made it to the bank where another valley moment came my way with a "You are fourth in line to see the banker."  Really?!
     I finally came home to find my dogs locked in the kitchen to keep the service man safe from two dogs the size of fleas and their only danger is you might get licked to death!  My four ducks were also quarantined in their small pen and house.  Between the dogs barking and licking, the ducks quacking their disenchantment, and the service guy suddenly having to go, I decided my valley was coming to an end.  The night to myself, I poured myself an ice water, brought out the M&M's and decided to share all of this with you.  You probably had a valley or two of your own.  I tried to choose to not be tempted and sin.  I tried to give it over to God.  I even tried to ignore it all!  Finally, I choose to admit my valleys for the day were manageable.  I was able to tell people about Jesus, make some people smile and freed my dogs and ducks!  It's all about choice.  Remember it's always your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment