Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Only one promise to make

     We live in a world where promises are made and broken as often as the sun rises and mankind breathes.  Promising is almost a necessity in life for many.  Unfortunately, promises do not take into consideration, motive, time, or intent.  "I promise to love you till death does us part." Then someone chooses to stop the love.  "I promise to see you in the morning." Then a tragic accident takes away the promise to a young child.  "I promise to lower your taxes!"  We all know the end of the promise is a forgone conclusion.  "I promise you this used car is just like new."  No one trusts the promise of used car salespeople.  You can see how our world is founded on false promises.  That's no different than Satan in the garden with Eve.  "Surely you won't die." and then death took place for all of us.  Except God had other plans.  I promise you life eternal and I go to prepare a place for you.  I will never leave nor forsake you.  God's promise.
     I wake in the morning and promise God to try and reflect Jesus to other's in and around my realm of influence.  Then I break that promise with one road rage driver or the incompetent dictator of my medical files.  The trials are daily and come like an oncoming runaway train.  So, what is the only promise to make?  Is it to not promise at all?  That doesn't make sense.  Is it to promise only what is certain to take place anyway?  That is a hollow promise.  Since we don't have any control of yesterday or tomorrow our promise must be for today. Even this very moment.  I can only promise to surrender to Jesus moment by moment.  That's it.  Should I promise anymore than that, I will certainly break that promise because of the sinner I am.  You and I have a lot in common when it comes to promises.
     ALL of God's promises come true.  That goes for the positive and the negative.  From the downfall of nations to the gathering of the saints in Heaven, all of God's promises come true.  They can be trusted.  The promises I make gather credibility only if I promise to surrender every moment of my life to Jesus.  THEN, His promises come to fruition and His will is done.  We can argue with this but arguing does no good.  In Christ all things are possible.  In Christ by faith we are saved.  In Christ the widow is cared for, the orphan is cared for, the hungry are fed, and those without hope meet Him and are saved.  All because Christians make only one promise; to surrender every moment of every day to Him who can fulfill the promise.  I promise you, Jesus, to surrender this moment.  It's really not that difficult to do.  Staying surrendered is our choice.  Remember, it's always your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment