Monday, September 16, 2019

Maybe you have lost hope

     I've lost hope from time to time though not on a permanent  basis.  We all take dips in our lives and find ourselves facing challenges in each of our worlds.  Even as a Christian we come face to face with faith challenging events.  Needless to say, we falter, fail and are at the bottom of the hole we have dug before we realize this end.  For the Christian, maybe it's not a hole but the journey gone off course from which we can exit and get on path.  I read many testimonies of Christians who are down, depressed, anxious, and overwhelmed with life.  It's part of what our world casts upon us.  How we deal with losing hope makes all the difference.  If we succumb to hopelessness, we are beaten before we can even begin.  If we take our eyes off Jesus, there is almost certain negative consequences for our failure to look up when we look down.  So, what do we do when we are without hope?  What do we say to those in like boats?  Do we abandon our faith and choose to not believe Jesus is Lord over this world?  Remember that Satan wants you defeated.  
     My longest space of time where I was hopeless lasted almost 3 years.  During that time I learned a lot about myself.  I had stopped reading the Bible, stopped praying, stopped going to church, and stopped my social life.  The pit I had dug for myself could have fit a small third world country!  Yet, I didn't give up.  Little by little, day by day, my journey back to wholeness continued.  People were tired of my resistance to getting out of my hole.  People continued to pray for me though and that made all the difference in the world.  During that time I made many trips to the VA for psychological and physical treatment.  They didn't do much for me.  What did work was seeing so many Veterans in worse shape than I.  AND they weren't complaining.  Eventually I was rocked to my senses by the Holy Spirit who reminded me that God was present in the pit even though I didn't see, feel, or hear his voice.  He was there never leaving nor forsaking me.
     My life isn't perfect.  My life positively and negatively impacts others.  My life is full of ups and downs.  Sometimes I'm down and don't even know why.  Sometimes I even find myself drifting into old patterns of self pity and self loathing.  My suicidal ideation has been abated and though I think often of going home to Jesus; never think of taking my life as I once did.  Perhaps you have found yourself in much the same situations as I.  Maybe you are even now searching for answers for unanswerable questions.  Perhaps you have been close to giving up.  Don't.  Stop.  Stand.  Kneel, and realized God is in control, has plans for you and those around you.  You are important and deserve hope.  You deserve to be happy, peaceful and positive.  It all starts and ends with you.  You have the choice to stay where you are or move on to where Jesus wants you and can bless you.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment