Friday, September 20, 2019

It's a lie! A big fat lie!

     The title is borrowed from Veggie Tales.  Just so I don't get caught in a lie.  I do and have lied.  Sometimes I've felt justified in doing so.  Keeping that surprise party a surprise, not telling what I have purchased for someone, and other such "omissions" seem to be largely acceptable.  The lie isn't the problem.  The problem is that we are tempted to lie and ever since the Garden have almost perfected the art complete with justifications and rationalizations.  We tell the boss we got caught in traffic in hopes he won't catch us oversleeping when we should have been at work.  We tell the kids that Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are real.  You better watch out, you better be good!  It's a lie and for what purpose?  Certainly not to please God.  The more at stake the more we feel the lie is justified.  We cheat (another word for lie) to keep money from the government, we tell insurance agencies we have been robbed when we had to pawn something because we were out of money.  We tell each other our fish was "this big" when in fact we picked some up at Safeway on the way home.  We lie to our enemies and those most intimate with us.  The worst part of lies is we need to tell lies to cover for the lies.
     The biggest lie is the one we tell ourselves.  Self deception is the ultimate lie and we need convince only ourselves for the lie to be told.  I've been self deceived for personal gain, greed, prestige, and a host of other reasons.  People have even told me I was lying and I lied about that.  I can't fool anyone.  Neither can you.  Even if you get away with the lie with someone else, you've already been caught by yourself and of course, God.  He knows and will repeat for you your lies when you stand before Him in Heaven.  I'm not looking forward to a recounting of every idle word and lie I've spoken.  People tell me all the time they don't lie.  People tell me they know they lie and it's okay with God.  Really?  People tell me they lie to protect others.  People lie to me when I know they are lying and don't really seem to be bothered by their lies.  It's all sin and as Paul said, "I Steve are the greatest of sinners."  There is no excuse for my actions of selfishness.  That's what sin is.  Sin is selfishness.  Sin is keeping anything about God's standards in place in my life.  To not let go of those things makes me a liar when I say I follow Jesus.
     Can we talk about politicians, lawyers, salespeople, preachers and a lot of other categories where lying seem so prevalent?  Can we talk about religions and cults where lies are at the center of their anti-God belief system?  Can we talk about lack of accountability and enabling those who lie, steal and kill to consume for themselves what others have?  How about we talk about the average church attender that condemns others but doesn't see the log in their own eyes?  Maybe you could enlighten me on the secrets of the government and conspiracies galore.  Maybe...  But that's not the solution.  The solution is for me to not lie...ever.  Not to you, not to my family, not to my boss, not to my friends and not to my enemies.  Not lying to myself and God will prevent much grief for me and you.  I'm responsible for my life.  You are responsible for your life.  We both have positive consequences if we really live like Jesus.  We all have negative consequences when we do not live like Jesus.  It was me!  I lied!  I didn't tell the truth!  It was wrong, is wrong, and always will be wrong.  Remember, it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment