Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What's in a word?

The English language is reportedly the most difficult language to learn.  Looking at the language from fluent English status, I find that hard to believe.  Shortly after arriving in Germany where I was stationed in the Army, I was on a village street and observed a young child about 4 years of age throwing a temper tantrum with his mother.  She was trying her best to get him to stop...at least it looked that way.  I didn't speak German and of course couldn't understand their conversation.  I remember thinking to myself, "How did that little child learn to speak German so good?"  After I stopped laughing at myself I gave the matter some thought.  We learn our language from birth and mimic the language and it's use of those around us.  We put a lot of trust in others without even knowing that we are.  And so as adults the reality seldom sets in that we have a chance to teach our children correct usage and meaning of words.  I was in 5th grade when I was caught passing a not to flattering note in class.  The teacher took me outside and told me that her feelings were hurt (note was about her).  She asked me to apologize and I refused.  She called my parents and held me after school until my mom arrived.  After seeing the note and hearing that I hadn't apologized, my mom told me to tell my teacher I was sorry.  I again refused...twice.  So, I went home and never did apologize for the note or its contents.  Years later as an adult I was thinking about the incident and suddenly it dawned on me the reason why I hadn't apologized.  I didn't know what it meant.  No one, to my knowledge, in my family apologized or educated me on not hurting others feelings.  I had been abused and others had made light of it.  Not once has anyone told me they were sorry.  Looking at the power of a phrase (or word) like, "I'm sorry." has encouraged me to teach my children the proper understanding of and use of words.  Even that went sideways!  I was trying to reconcile my two oldest children one day.  I told the one they needed to apologize and they said with the most sarcasm they could muster, "Sorry!"  I then asked the other to forgive the offender.  "Forgiveyou" and they went on their way.  This was another lesson on the use or misuse of words.  Understanding the "word" and applying the "word" in a realistic way is necessary to go through life.  So, what's in a word?  Words are one of the most powerful ways we communicate.  Words can heal or hurt.  It's up to us to use words correctly and to understand others as well.  It's words and their use that moves us from point A to point B in relationships, friendships, work, play and every other area of our lives.  Take time today and really listen to how you use words and for what purpose.  God told us to love one another.  What does that mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment