Friday, May 16, 2014

It goes without saying...

So, why do we say it?  Phrases like this one were passed down from generation to generation and are now lost to current speak.  We have texting which has all kinds of depictions for words.  I made up one word myself; "textversation" for the ongoing conversations.  I'm sure that those who "chat" would say the same for their conversations.  In our language there is a redundancy that precedes many subjects.  Language becomes laborious and difficult (see what I mean) when we are trying to explain ourselves.  Each year the committee (I never knew they had one) for "words" adds new words to the dictionary.  My shelf dictionary has been replaced by online ones and spell check.  Where would we be without spell check?!  Then there are those who should use spell check and don't.  A few years ago I read an actual physically present book (see what I mean) where I had to turn pages as I went along.  The book, "How to Speak Minnesotan" was all about the English language as seen from the eyes of old world Swedish, Norwegian, and German ancestors.  It was funny but also applicable for my move there for 3 years.  I've seen other books along the same line.  Take for instance the "_______ for Dummies" series.  Any feelings of inadequacy are replaced with the fact that we are inadequate.  We become reliant on someone who calls us "Dummies" to teach us how to understand, interpret and speak, work, live according to them.  Who are they anyway?  Perhaps there should be a book entitled "Textversation for Dummies."  I wonder how that would sell?  "And another thing" (here we go again) is a phrase that continues an argument, turns a discussion into an argument, and is a ploy for the person who is losing the argument.  If you find yourself saying any of these phrases don't beat yourself up or try to change as you will only become frustrated.  Whenever I hear "To tell you the truth," I automatically doubt the veracity of what comes next.  If it's the truth we don't need to preface our statement with "To tell you the truth."  There are lots of truths we don't say because we don't believe that people will believe us.  Take for example miracles.  To tell the truth (costly statement) people find it hard to believe in miracles.  Language takes us past the boundaries of fantasy and reality.  We've seen that in some of what has come out of Hollywood movies.  Fantasy is easier to believe than reality in many areas.  That is, until we mention the "Jesus" word.  Jesus healed the sick, raised the dead and bound up the broken hearted.  Wow!  "Looks like a duck.  Quacks like a duck.  Walks like a duck.  Must be a duck."  Jesus must be God.  For every believer there are two or three who will go to great ends to debunk anything God does.  There are whole communities who say they believe in God and say that miracles have ceased.  Can you believe that?!  It goes without saying...  Why don't we just speak plainly?  Jesus said in James that we should let our "yes" be "yes" and our "no" be "no".  Simple clear answers.  We've taken simple way past complex to unbelievable.  It frustrates me when I ask someone a question that requires only a simple answer and the other person launching into a litany of reasoning, excusing, and distracting.  I recently went into a auto parts store and requested an item for one of my vehicles.  Instead of saying, "we are out of stock:" the employee went on a "rabbit trail" and tried to convince me that I could order the part and it would be there in a week.  It was only then that she said they didn't have it in stock.  My time had been wasted by an employee who couldn't answer a simple question.  I know they have an expectation to make "the sale."  This happens in other stores as well.  When asked a question I sometimes answer "yes" or "no" just to see what the reaction will be.  Nothing kills a conversation quicker!  So, it goes without saying, that we are saying too much and listening too little.  You can't go wrong (really?) communicating without excess.  Have a great day!  Whatever that means to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment