Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Nobody wants to play ryhthm guitar behind Jesus.

That line was the only one I remember from a song that I first heard in the early 70's.  I had no idea how that would translate into my life over the years.  When I was first saved my walk with Jesus was intense and wonderful.  While I'd love to say the story continued to be that I'd be lying.  I have fallen so many times over my life and in the process hurt many people as well as did nothing for God for stretches in my life.  All because of the message in that one line of a song long remembered.  It wasn't that I though I could do it better but rather that I could do it on my own.  As a young Christian I was headstrong and heart weak.  My resolve didn't match how much I had surrendered to God all things Steve.  Don't get me wrong, I've seen God work through me in spite of me!  Kinda makes you wonder sometimes...  But then I digress.  By the way, I don't play the guitar.  In fact my instrument of choice is the stereo.  For you who are in the current century that would be your mp3 or ipod or similar instrument of choice.  Anyway, I listened to the music a lot in my life but didn't live the message.  Or at least didn't live the message as much as I could have or should have.  My mind has been "made up to follow Jesus" so many times that I seldom unpack now.  (that was a joke).  Over the years I have been able to see how God works not only in my life but in the lives of those whom I've met on the way.  There has not been one who has been able to live the life of playing rhythm guitar behind Jesus.  Everyone wants to be the lead singer in the band.  I can't believe it!  That's the second line of the song!!!  Somewhere a neuron sparked and there it is!  Aren't our minds fascinating?!  However, this only all the more clarifies what I did after I took over the guitar and microphone from Jesus.  I remember the first time as a pastor where I was leading the congregation through the service.  It came time to sing our first hymn.  We sang and the service went on.  After the service my family came to me and said, "Dad, don't sing!  You sound awful!"  They had been in the nursery and heard only my voice over the speaker system.  Apparently there was no music to be heard.  After that I listened to the tape of the service and agreed that I didn't want to offend anyone with that voice.  I still sing to the Lord but now only in private or in a group.  No lead singer for me!  Well, yes, I still take the microphone sometimes.  Okay, and yes, I still can't sing the way I would even listen to me.  So, what do you do if you know the song but don't have the voice?  Give over the voice and let God speak through the message.  We're encouraged in the Word to not let the cares of the world distract us from God's goal.  Yet that is exactly what I do.  I let the cares of human making over rule the way God cares for me.  I let the haste and hurry of life take away the peace and patience of God given for me.  So, what does this life look like if we give up the microphone and play second fiddle?  Well for beginners the music is sweeter!  When I would need time alone in the past one of my favorite diversions was to go into the sanctuary (woods, church, someplace alone) and pick up my hymnal (Bible) and sing to God those songs (Scripture) which put me back in the position he could and can best use me.  Remembering is very different than reminding.  We shouldn't have to be reminded of our life in Christ.  We should remember that it's only because of him that we draw a single breath.  The music is really sweeter when we aren't fighting for lead guitar and lead singer.  So, today I'll try again to relax, rely, and relinquish whatever life He has set before me.  Today I'll try to only sing His song...in private!

No comments:

Post a Comment