Friday, May 2, 2014

Dilemma of the continual list

I didn't grow up with written lists.  There were no lists written down for any reason until I first married.  Now I have lists that are perpetually renewed and lengthened weekly if not daily!  What would I do without the lists?  My current lists (3 of them) each have approximately 15-25 items ranging in level of difficulty to easy to put off to call someone else.  I don't like to call anyone else.  I'm a man and am supposed to be able to take care of my list.  We obtain some personal value when we can strike an item off the list.  One conquered and 24 to go.  So, what's different now than before when I was single?  There were so few things that required attention to warrant a list of any length.  Married with kids and multiple activities, church attending and participation all raised the task to lists.  That's not bad now that I am 60.  I could claim "I don't remember you telling me..." and get away with it if not for the list.  If I were to just address the items on the lists I have now there would be no free time for the next 6 months!  What happened?  One area where lists have affected me is my Christian walk.  The list is so short that you would think I could take care of the items on it in my sleep.  But no, that would be too simple.  So we take our Christian list and make it into a complex dreaded focus that we try to dodge.  But the list is there.  Perhaps if we took a good look at what Jesus says about lists we may be a bit more optimistic.  Jesus' list for us is only two items.  It's always been just two items.  Love the Lord God with all your heart, mind and spirit and love your neighbor as you love yourself.  Simple, isn't it.  God also simplified that list into one item on the list.  Love.  That's it.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Just love.  God is love and wants us to love.  Love each other, love ourselves, love our enemies, love our job, love our children, love washing dishes, love cleaning the bathroom.  Love.  If we love everything our life becomes both simple and powerful.  Love is the greatest power on earth and heaven.  God is love.  We are love.  God created us in his image.  His image is love.  We no longer need to shirk our duty to love.  Life can be simplified if we just love.  Put aside those things we call reality and look at your world through the eye of God's love.  That's what we are called to do.  So, today while I address items on my 3 lists, I'll try to see them the way God sees them.  Maybe even finish a couple of items!

No comments:

Post a Comment