Saturday, May 3, 2014

If you hesitate, you have lost

I'm a soccer fan.  In soccer players are continually challenged whether they are moving the ball around or taking shots.  Like most fans, I tend to be a couch coach.  My wife thinks it's funny.  These teams are the top teams in the world and I think I know better.  Some of my pet peeves come up and I say the same thing every time...don't hesitate!  Hesitating can mean the difference between winning and losing.  Fast paced matches call for split second thinking and action.  Being set up for a shot with your left foot and choosing to use your right costs more players shots than you could imagine.  Being ready to pass the ball or receive a pass is all about timing and movement.  Knowing where you are going, how you are going to get there and playing on instinct is crucial.  We have all seen different sports players who are really good.  Passes behind the back to an unseen player "just knowing" the other player was there, and similar moves amaze me.  How some players can accomplish these tasks in any sport is amazing.  In all fairness we need to acknowledge several aspects of anyone who is training for the race.  First, there needs to be commitment.  Not just a "I might be there if I feel like it." attitude.  "You can count on me." attitudes determine who plays and who sits on the bench.  Secondly, these athletes need to be in top shape to endure the race, to win the prize.  In soccer players need to be able to run for 90 minutes with few breaks.  I could probably jog 9 minutes if some ones life depended on it!  Thirdly, any athlete knows that there is no time to relax their focus.  It's focus that takes them to a win.  Those who don't have focus or lose their focus have already lost the game.  I've seen any number of teams where they had been "broken."  By this I mean the battle appeared to be lost and they gave up.  They quit being a viable opponent and just gave up.  The same goes for our Christian life.  We must be committed.  We need to be committed to Christ.  That means 100 percent.  Life changing commitment to Jesus.  Secondly, we need to be able to go to war.  For war, we need to be in shape, armed with the proper battle tools, and able to properly use them.  Thirdly, the Christian must be focused and goal driven.  The goal is to be more Christ like every day until that time he takes us home.   There is no retirement from Christianity.  Unfortunately many Christians act like they are retired long from their pull date.  The Christian needs to associate with those who believe the Bible to be the Word of God.  Armed with knowledge and wisdom anyone can play for keeps and win.  The soccer game is on at 7 tonight. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment