Monday, May 26, 2014

My computer ate my homework..

It used to be that the "dog" ate my homework.  Life was more simple then.  Of course the current school age life participant wouldn't agree.  We were so primitive that we had to hand write our homework!  We were so boring that we didn't care what everyone else had done over the summer during school break.  We were so uncool that we make them write actual thank you notes instead of a short text on their cell phone or other device.  I used to think that automatic deposit at my bank was a great thing.  Now you can take a picture, deposit and pay bills on your cell phone.  I watched in amazement as a couple a few tables away from me spent their entire time each on their own cell phones.  They even paid without speaking to each other.  The age of invention revolution has struck everywhere.  Our snail mail postal system is being challenged for it's very existence.  You can track a package from the moment you place an online order through delivery.  There are apps for just about everything.  My cell phone can calculate the tip I'm supposed to leave.  My books are available online for download at the speed of a few seconds.  What has happened to the simple world.  Again, the youth of this age would argue it's simpler now than ever.  When I open the hood to my car I can't see the engine.  Wasn't that way growing up!  We could even work on our cars then.  Replacing the "computer" costs more than my first car purchase!  AND thank God for spell check!  Can you get this thought that times have changed dramatically?  I need to either get used to it or get with it.  Okay, maybe I could go to live in the woods in a small cabin with no electricity to plug into when my device is down.  Reality has changed and done so dramatically.  Who knew?  So, the simple meets the simpler with more ram.  Electrical devices are more powerful than IBM could have ever thought possible.  So, what's my point?  Sometimes the simple old message is the best.  While being interviewed for my ordination as a minister I was asked what was my theology.  I told them:  "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so."  They were floored!  But isn't the statement true?  Has it survived the test of time?  Yes to both.  People still like to be hugged when they are sad or celebrating.  They like to know that someone thinks they are important and says so in person.  We like to make up our own minds instead of following the Jones over the cliff.  This doesn't make us wrong.  This makes us sane.  Some things will never change.  Many would tell me that I am wrong and that everything changes over time.  Not God!  They would say to me that I needed to change, become more like those around me and to fit in.  Not God!  I would be encouraged to update my morals by dropping them.  Not God!  Hmm...do I seek God or man's approval?  For many of the "Christian" in our world the ability to see Jesus as God is so dim that it's ineffective.  I don't need to get with it.  I won't get with it.  No one can make me get with it.  My dog still eats my homework!  How about you?  There are some things that are so advanced that mankind will never catch up with.  God comes to mind.  After all, he created the world and the Bible tells me he is still God of all.  Perhaps it's time to get back to the basics.  Jesus does love me because the Bible tells me so.  Write a hand written letter.  Proverbs 25:25 says, "News from a far land is like water to a thirsty soul."  Give someone water.  Look someone in the eye when you talk with them.  Give your handshake as your word the next time you make a deal.  Believe that "you can do all things through Christ, who strengthens you."  Live like you believe the Sermon on the Mount.  He cares for the sparrow and he cares for you and me.  I know this is radical.  People might label me as an old fogey.  That's okay.  God labels me as "his."

No comments:

Post a Comment