Monday, August 12, 2019

One door closes, another one opens

     I don't know about you but for some reason I fight door closings even when they are good for me and perhaps everyone involved.  It might be closing the door on one vocation and entering another.  It may be closing the door on one relationship in hopes I've learned my lesson next time.  It may be getting rid of an old car for a new one.  All of these examples have one thing in common:  heart strings.  We all have positive and negative attachments to each door that closes (or needs to be closed) and the unknown new door that is opening up.  Problem is we can't really close one door until we say goodbye and only then can we fully open the new door and enter in.  You've seen the pictures of Jesus standing at the door knocking?  If you have you've noticed that there is no door handle to open the door from the outside.  Why is that?  Just as in our daily life, choosing to allow Jesus in requires we open the new door.  The need to leave and enter is paramount if we are to fully respond to life around us, life in us, and life with others.
     Not all open doors are positive.  Take Eve and the snake Satan.  Opening that door has meant the struggle of mankind ever since.  Or how about Noah?  He warned those around him of the impending destruction of mankind.  When he closed the door only those who were inside survived.  Mary and Joseph entered through an open door and though the world was turned upside down, the positive ramifications are still being felt today.  Sometimes opening the door is necessary even if it's painful.  Talking to people about Jesus shouldn't have a negative consequence for Christians but today's world seems to be afraid of offending so much that many are perishing that could be saved.  Now, about me.  My choices to sin came from entering a door presented to me.  Instead of choosing Christ (the only good door choice) I chose the world's door and not only suffered my own consequences but also brought negative consequences on others.  Returning to Jesus knocking on the door was the only means by which I experience forgiveness for my sins.
     In order to choose the right door, you and I must be aware of how bankrupt our lives are and how dead in our sins we are.  Even though many have that ideal life of possessions and accomplishments, without Jesus they are the poorest people on earth.  When we come to the end of our ropes we need to let go, grab onto Jesus, and never grab the old rope again.  That's where our free will comes into play.  Many claim to have given their lives to Jesus and yet haven't let go of their free will.  I resemble that remark more than I like.  In spite of my choosing plan B instead of staying with plan A, God always makes a way back. Yep, you guessed it!  We need to open the door upon which Jesus is knocking and let him in.  Close the other doors and open the one Jesus is knocking on.  You will never regret that choice and it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment