Monday, August 5, 2019

Negative words

     "No" is probably at the top of peoples negative words list.  We us it for whenever we feel the need to assert ourselves, deny ourselves or just maintain ourselves in a world wanting all kinds of concessions and changes so we can adapt to the new world order or just finish of the "honey do" list we didn't  finish last week.  Sometimes "No's" friend "Won't" pops up as well.  We won't do this, that or say whatever.  We won't bend or conform and we won't give up our selfishness.  As if that's not enough, Can't starts the chorus singing and we find ourselves unable or unwilling because the task is so great or so overwhelming that giving up appears our only options.  What do all of these words have in common?  Every one of them is an absolute word.  You probably know that absolute words come with the knowledge that here on earth there are only two absolute words.  You were born and you will die.  All other proclaimed absolute words are rendered false.  But, you ask, what about the Scripture where it says man is only saved through the blood of Christ?  Isn't that an absolute?  Yes, it is.  However, we are know that earthly and worldly absolutes have no origin in Jesus.  The absolutes of earth are from another deceptive source all together.
     Whenever someone says to me, "You can't!" I know I need to do so just because.  See, we aren't that much different after all!  The exception is when God tells me you can't because of the dangers inherent in the choice.  IF I'm listening to the world I'm in trouble even before I act.  When God tells me you can't, he's trying to protect me, provide for me and lead me in His way.  I'd love to tell you I always listen to God but "always" is an absolute word that my earthly body isn't able to live up to.  I sin just as you do and render my relationship towards God a failure waiting to happen.  Do you do that as well?  Does you life resemble a train wreck from time to time?  Maybe it's time to choose God's absolutes for your absolutes.  That's a touch decision to make when you love your worldly life more than your Christian life.
     Speaking of which; what stops us from having peace (a positive consequence) and love (another positive consequence) in our lives?  Maybe it's negative words, thoughts and actions.  Remember that we are conceived with a heart, mind, and soul after God's own heart as we are created in His image.  I know that for me I let the worries, cares and troubles of the world into my life all to easily and quickly.  What would happen if we were to take just a moment and ask God for his peace and love to not only reside in us but to work in our world through us?  Would there be anymore tragedies involving Christians?  Would the world take notice if we didn't enter into road rage or political nonsense, and other no win situations.  Would our lives be different if we brought God's peace and love to the table instead of our cell phones and silence?  Maybe others would learn to be the kind of people God knows we can be with Jesus living in and through us!  So, it's down to the wire.  We are either part of the problem or part of the solution.  I know the decision for me.  Do  you know your decision?  Remember, it's always your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment