Saturday, August 10, 2019

But Jimmy's mom lets him...

     Most parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles and such who have on going relationship with young kids have heard the plea and know that Jimmy's mom probably doesn't let Jimmy do any of the stuff he claims.  He may do whatever is coveted but doesn't really have the blessing of his parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents and such.  It's a classic move of kids for all generations and social setting.  Why is this important to the Christian?  Maybe because of our relationship with the Father and our similar pleas.  Maybe we want to be god of our own world.  Maybe we are a rebellious people set on doing what we want with or without the blessing of God.  Maybe...  We could speculate all day long and unless we are willing to do something; nothing changes.  Status quo remains and our world continues to deteriorate without obedience to God.  This goes for everyone including me.  No one can escape the consequences of their choices.  You would think at 66 I would have already learned this lesson and wouldn't try the patience of God.  Wrong!  You and I are much alike.  I just say it out loud!
     Reading through the Bible reveals a history like no other.  Sometime just read the Bible through from a historical perspective and you will find many shocking choices people have made through the ages.  I can think of no other people so self willed than the Israelites and me.  Time after time they chose to follow their own plan instead of allowing God to love on them.  Why did they do this?  Maybe it's because someone's child said, "But Jimmy's mom lets him worship other gods!"  Not so far fetched is it?  I don't know about your life but mine is full of stepping off the straight and narrow for no other reason than I think I know best for my life.  God loves me so much he refuses to interrupt my free will.  He created free will in me as is evidenced by Adam and Eve choosing to eat from the tree of knowledge.  So, why do I choose something other than God's perfect plan for the very life he has given me?  
     I don't mean to suggest everyone become a monk or similar self denied person.  I can't imagine my doing so because someone else chose that way of life.  Nor does God want me to.  His purpose can't be served by my being a recluse.  He wants you and I out there going about his purpose as outlined in the Great Commission.  Because this brings us into contact with the world we live in we are tempted to go the way we think is best regardless of consequences for ourselves and others.  Keeping things simple is wonderful if our focus is solely on Jesus and his plan.  Keeping our lives in tune with God's will is exemplified by Jesus.  He, found being in the temple told his parents that he needed to be about his Father's business.  We, being found in the world, need make that same commitment.  Remember, it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment