Thursday, March 9, 2017

Subjecting yourself to those things that matter most.

     What matters most in your life?  Like many Christians you may find yourself saying Jesus matters most as that's the right answer.  But, like many Christians you know that the love for Jesus is subjugated to so many other things in life.  I know that I do.  It's not right but I find myself doing this anyway.  Maybe you can relate.  Why don't I make that which matters most prominent in my life?  That's the million dollar question.  Creatures of habit, training and choice are all intertwined in my thinking.  As a person I think that I do a fairly good job of keeping Jesus first.  As a father I've done a pretty good job of putting my children first as exampled by the Father and the Son.  As a husband I've failed so many times and yet have tried to be the nurturer and leader.  As a fellow Christian I've had my ups and downs but continue to reach out where God tells me.  As a sinner, I fail every day.  Does any of this sound familiar in your life?  This is a common struggle with believer and non-believer alike.  What we think, do and say all are reflections of what is most important to us at any given moment.  So, each morning I am awakened and determined to give the day to God who gives me breath. 
     When I think of subjecting myself to God the image of a glass of mud comes to mind.  If I choose to put righteousness into the glass (in the form of water) then the new water will slowly eliminate the mud and over time the glass will be filled with sparkling clean water.  See how simple it is!?  It would be nice if that were all there was to subjecting ourselves to God.  He wants to clear out our vessel so that he can live within us. We resist.  We are the mud.  Surprisingly he continues to love us, give us grace and urge us to give up our lives so that he can live through us.  What we should do is allow the spring of water Jesus talked about enter and push out the mud.  The mud gets in the way of us seeing clearly that which God has put before us.  Sometimes we add the mud so that we can choose to not see that which God has for our lives.  When we do, there are people watching who are looking to see Jesus and not Steve. Why don't they see God?  Because I have covered him with mud so that I can sin.  Wow!  Now that's pretty blunt and accurate.  We choose to block out God so that we can subject ourselves to sin. 
     When we take the time to look around us from God's point of view, the Lord shows us the proper relationship he wants to have with and through us.  He has sent his Son so that we could be saved from a life of death.  He has sent the Holy Spirit to guide and help us saving us from ourselves.  No matter what happens, God is always there waiting for me, you and other Christians to open our lives up so that the love of God can be conveyed to those around us.  The question is whether people see me or whether they see Jesus?  It's a question I am very familiar with and maybe you are as well.  My desire is to see the Gospel preached through me by word, thought and deed so that some might be saved.  The only way that can happen is if we have the love of God living us.  God loved us so much and we need to love others by letting God's love emanate through us to the world around us.  Remember that people watch the Christian to see if they are subjecting themselves to God or to other gods.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment