Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Somewhere in the middle of Texas

     I chose Texas but could have just as easily chosen your state.  I live in Washington and my family lives around the United States.  Relatives are relative to whom you consider family and their places in your life.  Family isn't defined by blood anymore than Christianity is defined by how I live my life.  We aren't from Texas or anywhere if we are Christian.  We are from God, sent into this world to make a difference and to bring Jesus to the lost.  Don't get me wrong, Texas is a great state.  I've been there as well as all but 13 of the states.  Each has it's charm, beauty and colorful people.  I'd find it difficult to name a state that I didn't like.  With Christianity there is no difference.  Despite our differences, Christians and Christian love can be found everywhere.  That's only half of the discussion though.  There are places in states that are deplorable and there are Christians who act deplorably.  Sifting out the difference is up to God.  I love Chicago.  That city has captured my heart in a way that no other city has captured it.  BUT, then there is Cabrini Green.  Then there is Steven (me) and who I've been at times.  You might know of a place in the state you live that's not the best in the world.  You might also resonate with the observation about me.  You would be in good company amongst other Christians.
     The word "middle" in my title is awkward when addressing Christianity or the state you live in.  Why is that you ask.  Because we live in a broad spectrum world.  We, of necessity, have to go to the middle from time to time but only in the worlds sense.  The middle of anything is a compromised area.  It's where our faith is tested and tried by the pulls of the world versus the pull of the Holy Spirit.  Eventually you and I need to choose which way we will go.  When I travel to Chicago I don't go through Cabrini Green.  When I go to church, I don't go around people who don't reflect Christ.  That's reserved for when I go downtown or any other place Jesus would hang out.  Jesus wasn't afraid of the middle or the bottom.  He chose to go there to bring people to the top!  We as Christians need to be able to be Christian fully regardless of where we are and what we are doing.  Going to the middle of Texas is fine if we don't bring the middle with us.  Going to the middle of anywhere is fine as long as you don't compromise your faith.  There is no middle ground if you have surrendered your life to God. 
     Somewhere in the middle of Steve's life there are compromises that have been made.  Somewhere in the middle of Steve's Christian life there are compromises that have been made.  I confess that as far as being a hypocrite goes, I'm there.  I don't always choose the Plan A God puts before me.  God isn't done with me and he knows the desire of my heart.  He isn't done with you either and knows the desires of your heart.  We all, as Christians, should be focused on being dead to us and alive through Christ living in us.  We have all the choices.  Yet, we look around us and do the comparison thing where we try to find others "worse" than us.  That becomes the middle of us.  Nothing good comes from that.  We have the choice to be better and without excuse.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment