Friday, March 17, 2017

Christians and betting

     I can't even remember how many times I've said, "When I win the lottery..."  But then, I would need to buy lottery tickets to do so.  The saying, "If I were a betting man.." is a loaded statement from the first word on.  So many board games and card games just reinforce the desire to bet, gamble, chance it all or whatever you want to call it.  Betting is an addiction for many and many a business and family have been destroyed by betting.  Spiritual betting is quite another thing.  When we choose to do spiritual betting we take responsibility for our consequences.  Spiritual betting comes in sayings such as, "I'm sure someone else will tell them about Jesus."  "It's not my job, that's the pastor's job."  "I don't need to tell my children about Jesus because they learn all about that in Sunday school."  Get the drift?  When we do worldly gambling we either win or lose.  It's personal.  We either win or lose whatever we are betting against.  Some lose cars in street racing.  Others lose their paycheck on the ponies.  Many a dollar goes into slot machines and doesn't return a thing.  Spiritual betting is quite different.  When we gamble as mentioned above, we are chancing a soul not knowing Jesus.  Shouldn't we be bringing people with us to heaven instead of watching them go to hell?
     Our plans for our future is also a form of betting.  We bet that the weather will be good enough to do this or that.  We bet the car/truck will hold together for a trip.  We bet that our resources when planned out to the penny will cover that trip, house purchase or other investment.  We bet that someone else will take care of the orphan and widow.  We bet all the time and don't give it a moments thought.  Why?  Because we don't know Jesus' plan for our lives or we know that plan but refuse to engage the plan.  We'd rather play it safe than be thought badly of.  In this world (gone mad) where the importance of political correctness and other crap there is a need for us to melt into the wood work and not cause any ripples.  We are scared when we should be confident.  Exactly what the devil is betting on.  He knows us and knows our weaknesses.  To that end, he triggers all of the things outside of Jesus  in our lives to bring about his plan by replacing that plan Jesus has with his plan.  And we do nothing.  The phrase "the world's going to hell in a handbasket" is truer than you and I think and unfortunately many of us have spent time or are spending time carrying the handbasket.
     Looking for the sure thing in the world takes our eyes off Jesus who is the author AND finisher of our faith.  Seeking that which will be here today and vanish tomorrow is equally insane.  The Bible says that "naked we came into the world and naked we will go from it."  That doesn't just mean physically.  There is the spiritual aspect to that as well.  We will be seen as we are and stand before God with all of us being naked not only what we have done, but also what we haven't done.  Will God understand our betting?  Will God care that we chose to not tell someone about his Son when no one else would?  Will God be impressed with how we have taken care of the orphan and the widow?  I can't speak for you.  When I enter heaven it will be on my knees praying that God is merciful on me a sinner.  Do I have stuff that I will be accountable for?  Yes.  Will I regret that which I haven't done as well as that which I have done?  Yes.  Should I not do anything in fear it will  be the wrong thing?  Absolutely not!  God wants us to live for today and what he has planned for us for today.  And, as we all know, it's always our choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment