Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Maybe next time...

     We don't always win.  That's just the way life is.  You win some and you lose some.  Yet, many go through their lives feeling either more wins or more losses.  Why is that?  Do we really have any sense of fairness in our world?  Perhaps what we need to consider is what reality proves to be true.  For instance, I sleep in a bed at night.  Many do not.  I win.  I pour out more water doing dishes than many in the world have to drink for an entire month.  I win.  I have possessions that many people only dream of having.  I win.  I live in the free world where I can speak my mind, share my relationship with Jesus and oppose what is wrong without fear of reprisal.  Yet, many in other countries don't have this freedom.  I win. 
     But do I really win?  It's a matter of perception.  Having life good and in abundance sometimes gets in the way of enjoying what is really important in life.  Living out of my want instead of my need gets in the way of enjoying the simple and complex things of life.  Let me show you.  There was a time (about a month long) when I was homeless.  I managed to find places to stay where I was out of the weather and food to eat even if it wasn't much.  I lost about 30 pounds and gained a new respect for what I DID have versus what I didn't have.  You don't realize what you have until you no longer have that which is gone.  My complaint level decreased after the end of the homeless month.  Many have homeless lifetimes.  The world is full of millions of people who are fleeing this or that and are homeless.  Many are starving.  Many are without possessions.  Many die.  Even though I was homeless for a month, I still had more than many.  My experience showed me that having what we think we need actually can make us a loser as our concern for others and their situation is fading to the background.  I lost.  I won.  Maybe next time...
     I once had the privilege of sitting with 3 men whom I knew fairly well.  I thought.  They were 80, 86 and 100 years old.  They came from different backgrounds, times and struggles.  They were all US Citizens (two immigrated here) and all had served in the military in their country of birth.  I listened to their story of their lives and how they came to be who they are and where they were.  What a rich history!  I was about 40 at the time and remember reflecting on how much I didn't know, how much I haven't experienced, and how shallow some of my thoughts and actions were.  I lost.  Yet, because I was open to these men, I won.  It's a matter of perception.  Should I have kept this learning to myself I would have lost.  I have chosen to share my failures and successes so that others can learn from both and maybe enhance their lives.   We win. 
     Today we have the choice to either win or lose.  Sometimes we have that choice forced upon us.  Often in this world people feel the need to "win" so strong that someone has to "lose."  Don't be that someone.  Sometimes there are actions in the world around us that many choose to turn and look the other way.  Don't be that someone.  Sometimes we are called upon to stand up and do what is right regardless of the cost.  Many choose to not step to the plate and do what is right.  Don't be that someone.  We have a choice every morning to be better or to not be better.  Choose better.  The worst that can happen is you will do what is right.  The "Maybe next time..." is today.  It's this moment and the next.  Live your life with an urgency that is contagious.  Eliminate the "Maybe next time..." by being more, doing more, risking more and living your faith not on your sleeve but on your entire being.  You and others will win.  No one will lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment