Tuesday, September 8, 2015

It was supposed to be an easy two mile hike on flat land.

     Having the notion that getting out in a National Forest Park and walk a 2 mile loop in the rain forest seemed like a good idea.  The weather was perfect, the drive uneventful and leisurely and the loop I was going to walk was within what I was able to do and shouldn't have been even a second thought.  But when the forest ranger confirmed what I knew, I started off on my easy flat 2 mile loop walk.  Now I carry a pedometer every day since my heart attack.  This time I wanted to know how far I really walked.  The "flat walk" was uphill all the way to the end of the first side of the loop.  I then climbed and went UP the second loop ending up about 500 feet above my starting point.  Now that wouldn't have been too bad if there hadn't been the up and down, over and around nature of the trail.  By the time I was done with the walk I had walked 3.8 miles on the 2 mile loop.  Did I mention the detour around the landslide at the 500 foot level?  I concluded that the park was a government agency run place and they could say whatever they wanted and it would still be THEIR truth.  The weird part is I will probably do it again somewhere else!
     I am frustrated with Christians who (pastors and lay people) who begin with "All you have to do is give your heart to Jesus."  NO, that's not all you have to do.  I get tired of medical people who say, "You will need to take this easy test."  Wrong!  There is nothing easy for a person to be put inside of a tube that's barely big enough to hold my body when I'm claustrophobic.  It bothers me immensely that teachers say, "This is easy math and nobody should have trouble with it."  Really?  How about all of us mathematically challenged people?  Yet, day in and day out we do this on any number levels to those around us.  The expectation is placed upon you to accept the terms other people put out there as "necessary" to accomplish whatever it is they want you to accomplish.
     As most people who know me will say, I'm a person who isn't prone to follow the crowd, do as I am told, or even get along with those who do.  For me, life is not easy, simple, or even understandable in the way most people understand the world.  I'm not easily placated.  Nor am I inclined to hide the truth.  That being said, asking Jesus to come into your life is not something you should consider as simple and easy.  There is a consequence (positive and negative) to the process and decision leading into the change in a person's life.  Understanding your need is huge.  It depends on a fair assessment of who you have been, what your place in life is, and whether or not you are able to see that this change will not erase the past.  You will have forgiveness of your sins.  That's great!  But the path is not flat nor is it just 2 miles.  You have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and that's great!  The influence of the Holy Spirit (if listened to) will impact your life as you choose to be Christian in your former non-Christian world.  Friends will leave.  Friends will come.  Family, spouses, children and others who are non-believing will come at you from different directions trying to bring you back home.  It's not a 2 mile flat loop.  The end of the journey, after sanctification (God's changing your life to what he originally intended) is to be a witness of the truth (it was more than 2 miles and it was uphill both ways) and share it with others so that they can enter into His presence as well. 
     I've failed in my Christian life more than I have succeeded.  Yet, I have made it to where I am.  There have been the ups and downs but I knew there would be.  How did I know?  Because those who told me about Jesus were honest.  Because I read the Bible (many times through) and knew what was required and what could happen because of my decision.  I also knew honestly what a wretched sinner I was and that there was nothing good inside of me.  After receiving Christ I still struggle, make bad decisions, have many ups and downs.  I created the life I left.  God created the life I entered.  I know there are no flat easy routes for most everything in life.  Considering where I came from the road I travel is flat and easy.  That doesn't mean that there aren't ups and downs, around and over's.  The prize in the journey is daily and eternally.  That prize is the peace of God.  I'll definitely go on another hike in both worlds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment