Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why do Christians want to make other Christians feel guilty?

     Some people live within the "blame game" entering into others lives with the main intent of having to feel better about themselves.  The elements of the blame game have been around since the Garden.  We screw up and either we shift blame to someone else or we expose someone as somehow worse than ourselves. We all have our faults and insecurities.  To have someone utilize them in ways that leave the already wounded bleeding is wrong.  It's a sin.  Yet, we see it all the time.  When we read about some scandal regarding a pastor, politician, policeman or other profession (cute use of "p") we are cast into their private life gone public.  There seems to be no end of fodder for those who need the blame game to promote themselves as better.  For these reasons I declare right now that I am not better than anyone else.  In fact, like Paul, I admit that I am the greatest of sinners.  There are so many sins in my past (only mankind remembers) that you could write several books about them.  However, God has forgiven me.  Make public whatever you will.  You cannot hurt my life more than I have already done on my own.  Now, what if everyone took that stance?  What is you and everyone else would not have secrets that could be exposed?  Would any power remain in the past?  Likewise, when someone tries to play the blame game with you there would be no power, no satisfaction for that person.  Quite the opposite.  They would be exposed. 
     The Bible tells us that the devil goes around the earth trying to destroy everyone and everything that opposes his agenda.  We know this to be true.  Instead of asking why God doesn't protect us from these lies; why don't we live an open life where exposure doesn't have any power?  "Yes, I am a sinner." has the ability to disarm any foe.  We are somehow expected to defend our past.  Why?  If we are living as forgiven then there is nothing to defend.  So when someone needs a patsy to blame for anything related to the past, they can't pick you.  When blaming exists within a Christian context the exercise of blaming isn't a sin against me.  It's a sin against God.  That's why the devil is confined to earth.  He sinned against God and was thrown to earth along with a lot of others following his lead.  When we are living with or around other people with the tendency to blame others we can know that their action is not from God.  Nor is their heart for God. 
     Those playing the blame game have a problem with accountability.  They have a problem with honesty.  They have a problem with accepting the love of God.  Again, I know that this to be true because I've lived in that space many times.  I'm trying to do better here later in my life.  Recognizing the damage blaming does to others and the family of God is a first step in leaving that life style.  If we don't recognize what we are doing is wrong we will continue to see no need to stop that behavior. When I was in 4th grade we were correcting each others math homework.  I didn't like that the person's paper I was correcting was perfect.  I knew mine wasn't.  So, I changed an answer on their paper.  I was challenged and exposed as having done this.  Never did it again.  My motive was to bring this person down to my level instead of acknowledging where I was.  I don't do math and still loath the subject.  I hurt that person by doing what I did.  I hurt myself more by throwing any integrity I had away with my actions.  Accountability requires us to constantly examine ourselves and to hold ourselves up not before our fellowman but before God.  He knows everything about us anyway.  The key to being someone who doesn't blame and looks for accountability is to allow the Holy Spirit to constantly examine ourselves and then allow the work to be done within us so that we will be found in favor of God instead of man.  Christians do not want other Christians to feel guilty.  They are consumed by their own sanctification that there is no room for the rabbit trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment