Sunday, September 27, 2015

In some cultues I'm okay...

     Funny how we see ourselves versus how others see us.  I see myself as a Christian guy who struggles along with the rest of humanity.  Others see me as a hypocrite or a wise person that has passed or is passing through their lives.  Sometimes others see me for my humor and sarcasm.  I've been seen as abrasive but truthful as well as a smooth liar.  Regardless, most characterizations of me have been true at one time or another in my 62 years of living.  Today I try to be at peace with most of mankind.  Today I try to understand so I can be understood as well.  Today I try to live as I should knowing I won't be able to go through a day without a failure point.  Where is this culture where I am okay?  It's the Christian culture.  There is no other place where I can be simultaneously loved and hated at the same time.  There is no other place where I can face the love, acceptance and approval of my fellow believers and the rejection of those same people.  I, apparently, was made for this culture. 
     I'm reminded of the prophet Jeremiah and his calling to service to the Lord.  God told young Jeremiah to never take a wife, have a family or possess anything worth anything because his life would be one of misery and prophesying doom and captivity.  Jeremiah must have thought "What have I gotten myself into?" and even considered saying, "No thanks, I can be hated and an outcast without this added wood on the fire."  But he didn't.  He took the mantel the Lord had offered (because God never forces us to do anything) and did just as God had said he should do.  He continued this life from his teens until his death late in life.  I imagine there were good days even as there were bad days.  He saw a nation that left Egypt at 4.2 million (approximated) dwindle to the 80,000 that were taken to captivity when they were finally defeated.  Yet, he kept telling the disobedient people if they turned to God they would be returned to their land.  Even though Jeremiah was contrary to what the people wanted he was okay in that culture. 
     Jesus had his 12 disciples who "belonged" with him but were only an entity unto themselves when they were first called.  There were none who were perfect who were selected to be with Jesus.  One would be a traitor and one would deny Jesus 3 times.  I've been both.  Yet, in that day and culture all 12 fit and were okay.  Each served their purpose.  Though at times it looked like they were nothing but failures.  I've been that too.  Called to be disciples was an up and down business where they cried out that their boat was sinking and fell asleep praying.  I've never found a canoe that didn't tip over and have nodded off in prayer more than a few times.  They not only saw miracles but also lived doing them in Jesus' name.  Wow!  I've been there as well.  Not anywhere near the miracles that they saw or performed.  Not anywhere near falling asleep while Jesus, the Son of God, was praying for them!  So, I belong with and am okay in this culture as well.
     Mostly I belong with and to those who have come alongside of me or allowed me to come alongside them in this daily walk.  My acquaintances range from the very rich to the very poor; from the very smart to the very...well very unsmart.  Those within my circle tend to fail daily.  The "realness" of the humanity of those around me is evident and exercised every day.  Being free to succeed and screw up in the same day is wild in any one's thoughts.  Within this Christian culture I am truly free and okay to be whom God has created me to be.  Within this group of believers my humanity can hang out and be okay even if it's in need of adjustment.  Where are you okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment