Thursday, February 16, 2017

Two years ago today...

     It seems like a longer time has passed but 2 years it is.  I had a heart attack.  I was taken to the hospital, admitted and then had double bypass surgery.  Recovery is still ongoing and will be until I physically die.  When I was first faced with the possibility that I might die, I freaked.  In a Christian way of course.  I cried out to God and anyone else who would listen.  The fire and medics took all of 5 minutes to get to my home and were extremely professional.  Little did I know but one of the top cardiologists just happened to be in the emergency room.  Staff was great and professional both in the ER and when I was transported to critical care.  I admit that it's taken me these 2 years to as fully as I can see how God's hand was in everything.  He never puts more on us than we can bear.  Further, the Bible states that ALL things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to HIS purpose.  The variable in all of this was me and of course, my choices.  You can't even imagine how many people were alerted and my name and condition was put out to prayer chains, friends and family.  Incredible!  But then, that's one of the purposes of the Christian body.  I remember waking up from open heart surgery.  Yes, I woke up!  That alone should have made my day.  Waking up every day is something I am thankful for.  But, as Paul says, for me to die is to be present with the Lord.
     You and your circle don't need to have heart attacks to be alerted to all that has blessed you and them.  I know that I was thankful for life before mine but never really was serious about what the precious time on earth was for.  Priorities are examined and changed with life changing events.  My life has been full of life changing events.  Some have even been good!  They will happen to each and every one of us.  That's not the problem if we understand we are living in a fallen world.  The problem is what to do with our event.  What would you do if you had a heart attack right now?  Would you do anything? Would your life change dramatically for Jesus if you survived as I have survived?  I still sin and that's not okay but rather a fact of living in the world.  None of us is perfect.  I've known so many who have gone through very tragic events personally who after the event don't do anything differently.  They don't look at and alter their priorities.  They don't see to live a better more Christ centered life.  They don't look to mend relationships.  That's a shame because they were given another chance. Another day to live.  Another breath of air to be drawn in and a chance to make a difference in their world.
     Though I've lost a lot of weight, I'm still overweight.  Though I've a new scar down my chest, I'm still swimming when I want.  Children ask me about the scar often.  Though I've been cautioned about doing to much, I still do from time to time but take breaks from time to time.  My hold on my possessions has changed to letting them be Christ's possessions for His use.  "Things" aren't important in the larger scale if I use them for myself.  God gives us "things" to share with others.  Pettiness in relationships I have no time for anymore.  Time here on earth is valuable for my sharing my life and the Gospel.  Planning for the future is now focusing on doing what I can until he takes me home.  Knowing that those I know are saved is even more important than before.  Like I said, my priorities have changed because I'm changed.  Because I'm changed, my choices are more in line with Christ's choices.  And, as we all know, it's always our choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment