Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I've grown tired of how my room looks

     After choosing the paint and painting an after hanging the pictures just where I wanted them and after placing furniture just where I thought it would be most efficient; I have grown tired and the room begs to be rearranged!  So, today I will be doing just that.  You ever feel that way?  Not satisfied but okay with the way things are?  I coined a phrase quite a number of years ago.  It goes like this:  "I live my life in a state of positive discontent."  At first hearing someone may think that it doesn't make sense.  I understand that.  What comes with revelation are three distinct characteristics of my life.  I know where I've been.  I know that I am okay today but unsettled.  I know that there is more.  That's the kind of thinking that could get me into trouble.  I've had 18 different vocations.  That's odd for a person my age (63).  In my generation we were expected to graduate high school, get a job and retire when we were 65.  Not exactly where my life has gone.  It's not that I always wanted to leave a job and enter a new vocation.  Nor did I have resistance to those changes in my life.  That would be because they were usually God's choices for my life.  Just as he brought me to one job for a purpose, he would bring me to another one when I'd completed that purpose.  And then it repeated itself several times. 
     What's all this have to do with how my room looks?  Everything.  I can change my room anytime I want.  So why now when it's been this way for over 2 years?  Because I feel the itch.  That's very simple for someone who lives their lives in a state of positive discontent.  But what happens when we do that with our whole life?  What happens when we have been freed up to go anywhere and do anything that God wants?  That's no different for the person who lives a Christian life of positive discontent.  Instead of me doing the rearranging of my room, it's Christ (when I get out of the way) who does the rearranging.  People live their lives backwards for the most part.  Undervalued they feel that they need whatever job, people, church that they have and never venture to thinking of how all of those need you more than you need them.  God wants to be the key to a life lived for him.  He wants you to be so in love with Him that you let him have his way with the life your have given to him.  That would mean living in God's life of positive discontent.  Never being satisfied with what you have become or where you are.  Knowing that God has a plan to bring the Gospel of salvation through Jesus by means of your surrendered life.  So, why do we stay so locked into where we were yesterday?
     It's my choice to let God rearrange my life or not.  It's my choice to rearrange my room or not.  It's not my choice to live my life for myself.  Yet, I do from time to time.  So do you.  What will change that place we find ourselves locked into?  How about a change to living your life in a state of positive discontent?  Do you really want to live a "satisfied" life when you can live a life filled with apprehension about tomorrow (in a positive way)?  I don't.  If I find myself in a place of being satisfied, I find that my relationship with God has become stagnant.  You may find the same truth in your life should you really examine your life.  Better yet, let God examine your life and then respond as a surrendered sinner saved by Grace for the greater mission that God has before you.  You are what your choose.  It's always been and always be your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment