Thursday, February 23, 2017

Every moment of life changes us as Christians

     They should have included the warning: "Nothing will be the same and change will be continual" on the invitation to die to self and let Jesus live through us!  You would think that some things wouldn't be that difficult while other things shouldn't be that simple in the Christian life.  But, that's the way it is...unless you aren't doing anything for Jesus.  If you aren't doing anything for Jesus you are aiding and abetting the devil and serving the world.  Changes for the Christian are important to note because they indicate the level of maturity you have acquired and exercised.  During that time the Holy Spirit looks at your and my life and suggests changes to help us let go of self and let Jesus live better through us.  Then, sin gets in the way and off the road we go!  I hate that but am my own worst enemy.  Yet, God takes these moments as well to help us to learn that we shouldn't touch a hot stove!  I've burned my fingers quite a number of times!  I'm sure that many of you have as well.  We tend to be a people that seem determined to learn the hard way instead of dying to self and letting Jesus live through us.  That's not good and shouldn't be good as well.
     Some of the changes are dramatic.  I've had to deal with the death of two babies and not knowing why.  I've had to deal with betrayal of family and friends alike and lost the chance of reconciliation because of death or distance.  My life is marked with consequences, positive and negative, that have not only affected my but those around me.  Accidents that were both preventable and unavoidable.  I think that I have learned most of my life lessons through the school of hard knocks.  What pains me even more is that through my learning the hard way, I've taught my children to do the same.  Perhaps you can resonate with my life or perhaps you think that I'm nuts!  I've yet to come across anyone who hasn't had to go through either the valleys or mountaintops of life without going through the changes necessary to carry us between the two places.  My life story would be tragic if it hadn't purpose.  I belong to Jesus and I choose to believe that all things happen to me for a purpose because I love him and he loves me.  Somewhere, somehow my story has been used to help many over the years.  My changes are the food that some people need in order to make it through the their own changes.  Your changes help those around you as well.
     The story is told of a man who had died and was before the entrance to heaven and asked to see how those in heaven lived versus those who lived in hell.  The angel took him first to hell where he was confronted with a scene where everyone was fighting over a bowl of food claiming as much as they could for themselves.  The spoons they held were their weapons.  There was fighting and violent voices serving themselves to the denial of food for others.  The angel then took the man to heaven to a similar room where there were people at a table with a bowl of food.  These people had long spoons attached to their hands.  Their spoons were 3 feet long.  Needless to say they were unable to feed themselves and were dependent upon others to feed them.  The scene was loving, sharing and caring. Quite different from hell.  The changes of our lives as Christians should be to seek to serve rather than to be served.  The changes of our lives as Christians should be seen to be monumental in our helping others along the road.  Rather than being resentful when the negative happens we need to look at the change from a positive view of what God wants to do with our lives to save and change the lives of others.  The church should be a place where Christians go to learn to serve.  Your life should be something that shows the changes by God are leading people to Christ.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment