Sunday, February 19, 2017

Seeing the unseen

    Watching out my back sliding door and seeing the trees moving though I can't hear anything or see anything that would cause the trees to be swaying.  Of course I know it's the wind that is making the trees dance.  The power of the wind varies from time to time from a gentle breeze to a force to be reckoned with.  Neither of which can we see.  We only see the effects of the wind.  Even the slanted rain tells about the winds degree of force.  The wind is only one thing we can't see but know is there.  Sometimes when I look at people I see Jesus in them though I don't actually see Jesus.  We see the results of their having Jesus living his life through them.  I've been found to say, "You are a Christian aren't you." on more than one occasion.  We see so much and don't look for what's important.  We see the past and have wild imaginings of the future.  Both distract from the present moment when Jesus wants us to see him.  Whether you go to a church building or not isn't indicative of whether you can see Jesus in others.  Whether you study the bible, go to home groups or whatever is on your schedule; there isn't an absolute that you will see Jesus there.  In order to see Jesus you first need to believe in the unseen hand of God in your own life. 
     I know a person who almost always first sees what is wrong with someone, something or someone's actions.  Jesus isn't wrong.  If you know someone like this they aren't seeing Jesus in you.  There are people who espouse so much Gospel and yet no one can see that Gospel in that person's life.  If you know someone like this they haven't the love of Jesus in them.  Jesus is consistent with the message that comes to us.  If we are supposed to be like Him, then others ought to be able to see Jesus in us.  I've had many people in my life over the years that have opened up and told me their life stories without even knowing their names.  It happens anywhere and everywhere.  People who are with me are either embarrassed or excited that people find it easy to talk with me.  Maybe they aren't talking with me.  Maybe they are talking to Jesus in me.  There are also many times in my life when those around me couldn't possibly see Jesus in me because my actions, words and works don't match the life of Jesus in me.  I've been guilty of that more than I'd like to admit.  What I'd like to do is have so much Jesus in me that there is no room for Steve.  When Jesus lives within us there is an attraction by others (or not in case of some) to Jesus because they trust and want Jesus themselves. 
     There have been times in my life when all I wanted was what I saw displayed in other's lives.  Maybe you have too.  Peace, love, acceptance, approval, and many other psychological and spiritual desires of my hear. The question bears asking of why I don't have these so that I don't need to have what someone else wants?  There are valleys in life that all of us go through even as there are mountain tops.  Knowing this we cannot live a life fully in Christ without Christ.  First things first, get right with God.  Then the mountain tops and valleys won't matter because it's not you facing them but Jesus facing them for you.  Like the wind on the trees or the power behind the waves, his life is moving and living through you.  Wishing and wanting won't get the job done.  Dying to self is what gets it done.  Giving up isn't giving in.  Giving up is allowing the blessings and victories that God has for us to be in our lives.  It is then that others can see Jesus living in and through us.  It's always your choice.  Choose well.

No comments:

Post a Comment