Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Do you ever feel like giving up?

     I do.  Sometimes I just feel battle weary and unable to go on.  Maybe you do as well.  It's not a very nice place to be and I try to not stay there for very long.  Usually when I feel this way I am reminded that I'm not to be the one who does battle.  That's the Lord's business.  He has he host of heaven available to fight the spiritual fight for me.  Yet, I still find myself battle weary from time to time.  It's times like that when I am most vulnerable to the attacks of the enemy either physically or spiritually.  Not wanting to succumb to the attacks I need to move to a place of protection where I can rest and recharge.  Jesus did.  So, why shouldn't I?  Everyone needs rest from time to time.  That's most evident when we are weary.  When we are physically weary we open up our immune system problems and illness may follow.  Depending on our response we may be physically sick and unable to do what's before us.  Did Jesus ever have the flu?  There are so many things going on in our worlds that can cause us to be weary.  The mother/father who are getting up every 2 hours for their newborn with the knowledge that one or both of them go to work in the morning.  The police or fire personnel who finish a hectic shift only to learn that they have an additional shift to work because someone is sick.  The student who has a heavy class load and is overwhelmed with homework, mid terms and finals.  The list goes on.  We are a people who get weary and feel like giving up.
     Over my life I can't even imagine how many times I've said, "I give up."  That's just what the enemy wants to hear.  That's the open door for his demons to ply their skills to take me down or to take me out.  There is the little part of my choice in this matter as well.  Paul talks about fighting the good fight and reaching the goal which is in Christ Jesus.  He was weary but didn't give up or give in.  So, why is it so difficult for you and I?  I can speak for myself but not for you.  For me, I try to take too much on and constantly have a "list" of projects, appointments, and other distractions that keep me going but not refreshed.  When I'm behind on my schedule I tend to push forward rather than to stop, pray and get things back on God's schedule.  It's not easy for me because of my type A personality.  Doing so requires discipline and the ability to let go and let God have my life...all of it.  "There are people who depend on me." is familiar to my thinking. "If I don't do it, it won't get done." also resonates in my thinking.  Neither are what God wants in my life.  He wants me to know and to acknowledge that except for his grace I wouldn't have a life at all.  It's He who makes the world go around.
     God's will and direction in my life is the best way.  It's his plan A for the Christian.  What would happen if we were to begin the day by giving it to him and not taking it back off the altar for us to take care of?  Would our world collapse?  Would things not get done?  Would our family and friends think we were nuts?  Perhaps.  Looking through the New Testament I read of many Christians who were following God on his plan.  They sought his will and then did it.  Quite simple.  Take a look at the life of Paul.  He appears to be constantly on the move for God.  We can also read of the time he took to not go anywhere for years.  There was rest for him

No comments:

Post a Comment