Thursday, February 9, 2017

Questions you might ask yourself:

     We tend to shy away from asking ourselves questions when we have a ready audience to ask questions of.  Sometimes it's because we think we are not interesting.  Other times asking questions can be a way of protecting yourself from other's inquires.  Maybe you ask questions because you really want to know while at other times you just want to gossip.  But, what about asking yourself questions that matter.  I'm not talking about what to eat for breakfast or if you should put gas in the car.  I'm talking about serious Christian questions that define what relationship you have with Jesus.  I can feel some squirming already!  When I first became aware of the power of questions I had just entered the US Army.  I didn't like being asked questions.  Why?  Because I didn't know these guys and why they were asking these questions.  Besides, at that time I was very much an introvert.  So, I began to ask questions first so that they were put on the defensive side of questioning.  Over the years this has served me well in my various vocations.  I'm quite the extrovert today because of this.  My Christian life is good but could be better.  That's why I'm going to put some of those questions out there for you.  Not that I have all the answers (the Bible does). 

     How do you REALLY know you are saved?
     Have you discovered Jesus for yourself or did you grow up with Christian teaching?
     Do you believe that the WHOLE Bible is God's word?
     Do you believe in a spiritual enemy, the devil?
     Do you believe that people will go to heaven or hell because of their choice?
     Do you have an intimate first love relationship with Jesus?
     What are the secret sins in your life?
     Do you teach your children,  friends, spouse, enemies that the love of God is real?
     What pagan holidays do you celebrate that aren't supported by God?
     Do you embrace the first commandment?
     Do you embrace the second commandment?
     Where is your mind during the waking hours?
     Do you rationalize or justify your stance when it's contrary to the Word of God?
     What do you believe the Scripture tells you to be doing as a Christian?
     Does it bother you that people you know are unbelievers and destined for hell?
     Would you give up your life for someone?
     What would it take for you to deny Christ?
     What do you meditate on day and night?
     Do you have regrets of not being whom Christ died for you to be?
     Are you exercising Christ in your life so that you don't worry?
     What are the fears that you have NOT given over to God?
     Do you really love God?

     You see, the list is not very long.  But asking the questions is only half of the equation.  I was once told to never ask a question if you think you won't like the answer.  It was a lie.  As a Christian we must ask ourselves these questions and more if we take seriously our belief in God.  While a pastor I attended a conference for pastors.  While there I would ask (like I asked everyone) the person I was talking with if they were Christian.  The response usually was, "I'm a pastor!"  I would then ask if they would share with me how they came to know Christ.  Here's a fact:  not all who call themselves Christians are and that goes double for Christian leaders.  This isn't a life you can pick and choose what you want to believe.  The Christian should be comfortable answering all of the above questions.  The Christian should be able to tell others that they have chosen to die to self and live for Christ who died for them.  The Christian...it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment