Thursday, March 31, 2016

My life in the eye of the hurricane.

     I was sitting here this morning journaling and suddenly realized that my Christian life is like living in the eye of the hurricane.  Category 5 hurricane that is.  This storm is huge!  The structure of the hurricane is interesting.  There is the outer wall, the swirling mass, the inner wall and then the eye of the storm.  While much of my life is represented all over the place; the best place to be in the center or eye of the hurricane.  People appear in different parts of the hurricane as they and I interact.  The ones in the center are other Christians.  The ones outside the center are not.  The division of the two is fuzzy because of the transition zone.  Some think they are in the center and belong to Jesus but are not.  Some think they are of the world but have at some time given their lives to Jesus.  I've existed in the outer wall of the hurricane since conception.  At least that's what the Bible says in the Psalm.  It wasn't my choice.  It was Adam and Eve's choice to live outside the eye of the storm.  Well, before Adam and Eve there was nothing but the calm of the eye.  God was with them in the garden.  The wall appeared in the form of a serpent (Satan) who tempted them to touch the wall and see that it wasn't bad.  Here we are.    I've lived the first 20 years of my life here on earth in the space between the outer wall and inner wall of the swirling mass we call life on earth.  Maybe you have too.  The wall had different meaning then than it does now.  Then it was the normal standard life that we lived.  Now it's seen as a force set in place to destroy everything in it's path. 
     When I became a Christian there were struggles and still are.  The wall between the outside (what was) and the eye of the storm will forever be there.  Well until there is the new earth.  In the meantime we are to live in the eye of the storm.  The eye of the storm is where we are safe.  We are able to live with peace of soul and mind.  This is where the gray area of the space between the wall and the eye comes into play.  We are asked by God to let go of the wall and all it has to offer because it's contrary to what he has planned for us.  We are asked to be separate from the world and yet have contact with the world.  It's difficult to visualize how God can call me to be not of the world and yet in the world until I admit that it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives within me.  It is He who has contact with the world through me.  Not me.  When I live in Christ I live in the center or eye of the hurricane.  When I choose to live in the world I choose to live outside the eye of the hurricane and in the chaos of the world. 
     Those who have entered into a relationship with Jesus have touched the eye of the hurricane and many have remained there.  Forsaking all others and following Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.  Living in the eye is abandonment of the world.  Not partaking of that which others and the enemy see as harmless.  To be a friend of the world and live in the chaos is to be an enemy of God.  Why?  Because the god of the chaos is Satan and if you are living in the world you are living for him and not Him.  Big difference.  So, the question is begged, how does one live in the eye of the hurricane?  It's a matter of choice.  Sometimes daily and sometimes moment by moment.  Dying to self would be a one time deal you would think.  I've placed my life on the altar so many times as a living sacrifice only to get off the altar and go back to my old desires.  You have too if you are honest with yourself.  The worst thing anyone can hear when they pass from this life to eternal life is "I never knew you."  The best thing that anyone can hear when they pass from this life to eternal life is "Welcome , my good and faithful servant."
     Which one am I?  Which one are you?  Because I'm saved by the blood of Christ and resurrected from the dead already in Christ, it is good news that I will hear "Welcome, my good and faithful servant." even though I haven't been good or faithful.  Sometimes I haven't even been a servant.  There are choices to be made.  The first one is if we are really willing to die and be separated from the chaos.  The second one is if we are wanting to remain in the eye of the hurricane.  Which choice we make today reflects our heart.  It's still your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment