Thursday, March 10, 2016

After all is said and done...there's still work to do.

     Though there are people out there who may think they have arrived; they have not.  The work of Christ for all of us is unending and demanding of our attention.  Do you remember when you first came to Jesus?  Do you remember the moment before he touched you?  Do you remember your life before Jesus?  Do you remember what your priorities were and how they ruled and ruined your life?  Do you remember posing as something other than what you were to be okay with people?  Do you maybe remember weeping over where you were and what your life had become?  THEN, he touched your soul like you have never been touched before!  Electrified with grace and peace washing over you at one and the same time you KNEW for the first time that you were okay.  You were loved and accepted just as you were.  Feeling so fortunate to have the burden of your world lifted, you bowed your head, heart and soul to Jesus who loves you.  Do you remember?  There are many out there who haven't experienced what you have.  Many who are not saved.  Many who face an eternity in hell unless... 
     No, I'm not going to lay the guilt trip on you.  That's not my job and it wouldn't do anything anyway.  I'm not going to remind you what you owe God or your fellow man.  Nor am I going to point out your failings and misgivings.  Those times you felt the Holy Spirit prod you to say something...not going to remind you of that either.  We don't know all that God has planned.  We do know that he has included us in his plan.  Whether it's seen as coincidence, happen chance, or just divine destiny, we are part of God's will whether we know it or not AND whether we like it or not.  Our motivation should be because of His first loving us.  Our motivation should be from a heart of love and not from a heart of fear.  Shaming and guilting others into what they should be doing has never worked and never will work.  I go out of my way for any request that is reasonable from my children.  I would imagine you do as well.  It's called love.  I do it because of love and NOT because of obligation.  Love doesn't have "obligation" in it's definition.  Love is a choice.  When we choose to love we cannot help but remember the sacrifice of Christ for ME!
     Paul says that he does what he does "for the joy set before me" of serving Jesus.  He was beaten, stoned, run out of town, imprisoned, and just about anything else you can imagine as he lived for Jesus.  He considered all of his life as loss for the sake of Christ.  He culminated his life with "it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives within me."  Can I say that?  Can you say that?  Paul's life was always right out in front for everyone to see.  He wrote his convictions so that people would have proof of what God told him to say.  He preached anywhere and everywhere with no fear.  What was the worst that could happen?  Paul knew that the worst that could happen would be he would die and go home to be with the Jesus who consumed his life.  That was my first love.  Over the years I've walked away from the first love so many times that I cannot count them.  He remained with me throughout every time; waiting for the prodigal to return.  Why?  Because he loved me without obligation.  He loved me without demanding.  He loved me without throwing guilt on me.  He loved me when my family, my friends and my enemies hated me for whatever the reason.  Paul knew this.  I know this.
     We have the Bible.  We can read the end of the book and know how this life all ends and begins.  There are no surprises.  We have a guide to life that surpasses everything we can plan.  Yet...we live like we have more important things to do than be in love with Jesus!  We compromise our faith, don't really believe that Jesus can come back at any moment and continue to justify and rationalize the many reasons why we don't carry the love of Jesus to our own lives much less other's lives.  Why?  Because we believe that it's all said, done and if not someone else will do it.  No one can love Jesus for me.  IF I have the love of Jesus in my heart...  If I have truly given my life (all of it) to Jesus...  Should I have the love of Jesus for my fellowman...  Everything is not said and done.  There's still work to be done.  What's your choice?  You know it's your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment