Saturday, August 15, 2015

What you think of me isn't my business.

     Think about it.  You have people in your life that are positive, negative and neutral towards who you are, what you do and say, and what you represent.  Have a bad hair day and they will tell you.  Say something controversial and they will comment (if only to each other).  Do something scandalous and you can bet it will be in the hopper for gossip fast.  None of us enjoy the dishing out of unwanted comments about ourselves whether it is direct to us or via any method.  Learning what others think about us from any means except straight from their mouths is so aggravating!  Often people's comments come out of their own insecurities.  Needing to feel better about themselves they need to push down those around them.  I may have problems but look at them!  However we live we will continue to have those who think and convey negatives, positives, and neutral issues about us.
     Jesus set the example.  He said numerous times: "I must be about my Father's business."  That's it.  So he did all he did regardless or because of what they could do to him.  They eventually did do the worst they could to him by killing him.  However, the King of Comebacks rose from the dead and provided a way for you and I to have salvation through him.  Jesus' identity was firmly grounded in the Godhead.  Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit each compliment and complete each other.  In the same way we are to have our identity in Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Father.  Getting our identity from that source eliminates the need to get out identity from others here on earth.  Being able to focus on delivering Christ to the world should keep us so busy that we don't have time to care about Bob or Cheryl and their opinions of us.
     The fact is we are made in the image of God.  Not in the image of my dad or mother.  Not in the image of my neighbor, or the image of our boss or even our enemies.  Though we find it difficult to apply, we are created in the image of God to glorify Him.  Think of this.  As imperfect as I am, Jesus sees me as higher than the angels.  He says that one day I will be judging fallen angels.  Jesus sees me as a conduit for his message to the other people on earth created in his image.  You might be thinking that I am full of myself.  No, I'm just telling you what Jesus told me in the Bible.  If he thinks this way about me that is all I should be concerned with and also contented in being...regardless of what anyone thinks.   Should we gain this perspective and find ourselves truly in Christ, we then can say with confidence that it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives within me.  (Paul)  Paul also tells us he is pressing on to that goal which is found in Christ Jesus and asks us to do the same.  If my focus is this focused then why should I make what others think about me any less important than what Jesus thinks of me.
     Living for Jesus unleashes freedom from the chains of being the person who others want me to be.  Giving others the power to define who I am, what I do and what I say is contrary to Scripture and should be expunged from my life and your life as well.  Being concerned about our fellow man should first be attended to on our knees in prayer for God's wisdom.  Being busy for Jesus eliminates the time taken to address what isn't my business at all. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment