Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The mighty apostrophe

     The apostrophe has long been used in English literature to indicate that the author has more to say or that what is being said isn't finished.  Paul was the king of these types of sentences.  Long rabbit trail statements that make sense but are so long!  In our personal lives we too have apostrophe's.  The variables of the apostrophe in peoples lives is both long and tedious to repeat.  So, suffice it to say that each of us have a story line which has an apostrophe indicating that the statement or story isn't finished.  A movement is underway utilizing the apostrophe to indicate that individuals are survivors of attempted suicide or other tragedies.  My own first suicide attempt was at age 13.  However, my story wasn't over yet.  There would be other times in my life when I thought of giving up, ending it all, taking my life as I felt I had nothing to live for or the pain was to great to bear any longer.  Paul talks about his thorn in the flesh that he was given to bear.  Many people have lamented their lives and sought a means to end that life.  Apostrophes are indicators that their and my stories are not finished and there is more to be written.
     Our relationships are comprised of our relationship with Jesus and others.  The relationship with Jesus is a never ending one which we will continue to enjoy for eternity if we know Him as Lord and Savior.  So, let's concentrate on the "others".  The relationship may be with a wife, parent, husband, friend, child(ren), or even an enemy.  The apostrophe in each of their lives is dependent upon and inclusive with our own lives.  WE are the reason we have an apostrophe and WE are the contributors to other's apostrophe's.  Somehow in our society we have drawn ourselves away from involvement in people's lives.  Having taken on an air that we are NOT our brother's keeper; we pretend that we have no responsibility to them or anyone.  Ignoring others don't make the problems go away.  Nor does it give others the chance to interact with our lives and just possibly be the reason we have an apostrophe in our lives and not a period. 
     The path to hopelessness and the period can and should be interrupted by us.  We are the ones God has placed on earth to be there for one another.  It may seem strange to us to consider, but we often are called upon to be some one's apostrophe even if we don't know it.  That late night text message or middle of the day phone call or that dropping by just to say hi and check on you or I are all signs that someone is actively stating that our lives count and are important.  I was once walking on a street and greeted a man coming towards me (stranger) with, "How are you today?"  He stopped and said, "You really don't mean that or want to know."  I told him I did want to know."  He went on to lament about how people ask that greeting without ever having the intention to really want to know.  He's right.  We have distanced ourselves in our communication just by not being sincere.  Will we really take the time to be some one's apostrophe and LISTEN to them with our heart?  I have certain people in my life that are my apostrophe as I am theirs.  Communicating, believing, and trusting are all components in having an apostrophe in your life and my life.  Don't let your life have a period.  God hasn't finished the story yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment