Sunday, August 23, 2015

How to raise a pumpkin

     Most people think that you throw a seed in the ground, cover it up, and a few months later you have a huge orange pumpkin that is the envy of the block.  Some even take it over the edge and have hybrid pumpkins that can weight upwards of 1000 pounds.  It's hard to imagine but there it is on the internet.  Here is how I raise a pumpkin.  First and foremost is to select a location where the long vines can stretch out and be free.  The soil must be fertile and not too sandy.  Loam is a nice soil to put a pumpkin seed in.  After preparing the planting spot in my garden I went to the store to buy some seeds.  Wondering why I needed 40 seeds I reminisced that same problem with zucchini seeds in a packet.  Why?  Anyway, I digress.  There are so many different types of pumpkins, length of growing season, edible and questionable, jack-o-lantern, and so many more.  Of all the seeds I chose one that promised to be robust and would produce a good pumpkin for general usage. Now remember I just wanted one pumpkin from the plant.  More is acceptable but I would settle for one pumpkin.
     After planting the pumpkin seeds (3 of them) at the depth required and watering that spot, I went away and left it to grow.  I was elated when the first and only sprig popped through the surface and began to wind it's way in two different directions.  Flowers appeared.  Then the small, tiny bulb of a pumpkin developed.  Knowing that nature among other things can really mess with plants such as this, I took care to water the pumpkin regularly.  Amazingly all but that one bud dropped off.  Now the energy from the plant could focus on just the one pumpkin.  The hardest part to raising a pumpkin is the "leave it alone" phase.  So you wait until the plant dies and all that is left is your pumpkin is left.  You have just raised a pumpkin.  What about deer and other pests?  What about fertilizer?  I grow my pumpkin organic as much as possible.  There is nothing wrong with fertilizer and pesticides if you prefer that route.
     This is a reflection of the life coming to know Jesus and who he created you to be.  The fact that you are reading this today should tell you that you are fully grown pumpkin.  Okay, we're not pumpkins.  The pumpkin birthed and grew for us.  We birth and grow in Christ for Him.  Purpose is behind all of our life events.  The purpose of the pumpkin is to give me pleasure.  The purpose of my life is to give God pleasure.  I know for a fact that God kept this pumpkin safe through many trials and tribulations. He shielded me from the harshness that was beyond what I could bear and let me grow according to His purpose.  When all is said and done the pumpkin you grow will be used for your pleasure.  Many will carve a face on it and put a candle inside for all to see by the front door.  Just as we are brought to fruition so that others can see Jesus in us.  There is never a better time than now to check out where you are in the process.  Everyone starts at the beginning so don't think you can just jump to full grown huge beautiful pumpkin.  Doesn't work that way.  As we allow the Holy Spirit to plant the seed, nourish that seed, see the birth and growth to adulthood, we realize our purpose and live for God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment