Monday, August 17, 2015

Godly delays to life

     Last week I went out to start my truck to do some errands.  It has never had a problem starting but wouldn't start.  So, the crew piled into another vehicle and left while I stayed behind and tried to figure out what was wrong.  As they disappeared out of sight I decided to give it one more try and turned the key.  The engine immediately roared to life.  What?  It didn't make any sense.  Just moments before all it would do was crank the engine.  Now it was running wonderful once again.  So, I decided to go about an errand of my own.  I needed to go into the house to get my stuff but then left and headed down the road.  On the way there was a couple walking towards town.  I felt the Holy Spirit tell me to pick them up.  Okay.  So I did.  As we went down the road they told me where they were going (the opposite of were I was headed).  Initially I told them I could only drive them to where I would be turning left and they needed to go right. They began to tell me that the husband had just exited a hospital where he was being treated for kidney failure.  He was a diabetic and kidney failure was not a good sign.  He and his wife appeared to be in their late 40's.  They needed to get to the store to pick up a prescription necessary in his ongoing treatment.  So, at the intersection I turned right instead of left.  A little time out of my way for a good cause  It was then that it dawned on me that this was why the truck hadn't started.  If the truck had started the crew would have taken it and I would have stayed home.  They talked about his diabetes, treatment, their homeless and penniless situation and their need to get home in Spokane, WA.  That would be the opposite end of the state and at least 400 miles away.  We arrived at Safeway and as I sat there I was amazed at how thankful they were and how humble the were.  I told them goodbye and they got out of the vehicle.  As the did so, they turned and said, "God bless you for your kindness."  I passed on a blessing to them as well.  I had no money or I would have given it.  I had limited time and funds or I would have driven them to Spokane.  I had done the least and was blessed the most.  God delayed me to bless them and in turn I was the one blessed.  The couple remain in my mind and I'm richer for the encounter.
     Whenever there are circumstances brought about in our lives we think are strange or inconvenient a good idea would be to ask God what he wants with your attention now that he has it.  We are told that we "entertain angels unaware" in Scripture.  Just as the men on the way to Emmaus were joined by Jesus but didn't recognize him.  Just as so many interesting stories from missionaries and others about the timing and grace of God in their ministry and lives so was this encounter.  My life is full of such events.  I once missed the turn I was to take on a fishing trip.  I turned around and headed down the right road only to find a tree had fallen and the dust was still settling.  Godly intervention for my safety.  What would happen in our lives if we were to actually look at ALL the events and escapades in our lives as a direct interaction with God at the wheel?  Would we be changed?  Would our world be changed?  Would people begin to see Jesus everywhere they went in the hearts and souls of strangers?
     Let's stop worrying about being on time.  Let's stop worrying about whether or not it's safe.  Let's stop worrying about the inconvenience.  Let's stop the worrying about what it will cost us in gas, food, clothing or whatever the need God's people have need of.  Let's just STOP.  Get out of the drivers seat of our lives and surrender our moments, hours, days, months years and eternity to God who has THE plan for everyone in our lives.  Let's stop our own agenda and let God's agenda play out in our lives.  Let's see what God can do through the surrender of his people, us!  Today, don't plan.  Today, don't overlook.  Today, don't second guess.  Today, look for the possible.  Today, stop being so centered on you and your needs.  God knows what you need and he has someone coming to take care of them.  Maybe they will be in a white truck being driven by me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment