Thursday, July 3, 2014

There are lots of things I simply do not understand.

     I don't understand how this happens.  But, it does happen and when it does, we can misinterpret through our own biases and prejudices.  Take for example yogurt.  Why does it have an expiration date?  Maybe it doesn't really matter.  Understanding relies on what we consider matters or doesn't matter.  For an example only!  How about women?  As much as I know there are days when I just don't understand how woman think.  I'm sure they feel the same way about me.  Does it matter how each of us thinks?  Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. 
     My dogs love to go for walks.  Primarily to look for places to pee and to look for cats.  Okay, during the spring, summer and fall they also focus on squirrels.  It doesn't really matter though because we will take them on walks.  Of course their world doesn't end when we have a day or two when we don't have the opportunity to walk them.  Some would say that if we don't have the time for them then we shouldn't have pets.  It doesn't matter whether peoples opinions are voiced or not.  The fact is sometimes for various reasons we do not walk our dogs on a daily basis. 
     When I do laundry I use fabric softener sheets in the dryer.  My wife does not.  I cook with the "little bit of this and a little bit of that" mentality and my wife cooks according to a recipe precisely.  We both eat each others food and obviously haven't suffered.  So, what does it matter if things are done this way or that way?  Why is it so astounding to others when I do this but don't do that?  Does it matter that I think that of them at times?  Being different is NOT being wrong.  Being different is finding another way or means to do the same thing.
     I don't understand why, if I have good results, people try to convince me to do or say what they do.  As if they are right!  Understanding is tied to expectations in our lives and the lives of others.  We can understand why someone does this or that and we disagree with them.  Why is it such a difficult task when the role is reversed?  Why is their tolerance any more important that mine?  Are people so invested in me that they just know that I will be in a better space and time if I was just like them?  I don't think so and I don't understand the need for this kind of thinking.
     In my car (doesn't matter which one I drive) I have a FPBS.  Ah, you don't know what this is.  Front Passenger Braking System.  My wife has this inclination to physically react to my driving.  Sometimes it's verbal but most of the time it's a physical reaction.  She hits the brakes so often that there is a foot shaped dent in the front passenger floor boards!  She isn't very good with other's driving.  Especially mine.  Okay, so I've had a few close calls and some accidents in the past.  I admit it.  BUT there were many more times that I did NOT have accidents.  There are pedestrians that I haven't scared!   I just don't understand the hysteria.
     Sometimes it's a good thing that I don't understand.  If I understood I would need to do something.  Understanding requires interaction.  Not understanding requires nothing.  Misunderstanding requires interaction while understanding requires (again) nothing.  With the number of people I have interaction with there are times when I both understand and misunderstand.  You do too.  Sometimes God allows events in our lives that we cannot understand or even misunderstand.  But we know that "all things work for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose."  Really?  Yes, really. 
     It would be a gross understatement to say that we want all of the answers and we want them now.  Likewise, God doesn't tell us the answer to all of the "why?" questions for reasons unknown.  There is great responsibility when we understand the truth.  I have a difficult time (at times) understanding why God chose to die for me.  The principle isn't that difficult to understand.  It's the implementing of the principle.  Here it is:  "I have to be selfish to be a Christian who is commanded to be unselfish."  See what I mean!
     In order to obtain love, acceptance and approval I must receive a gift that I have neither earned nor could I ever afford.  Wow!  So, when I take from God that which he freely gives away, I am amazed!  The grace of God is so overwhelming that sometimes I just don't understand.  When I take the love of God that I haven't worked for nor can I earn; I'm lost in the understanding of why God would do that for me.  All I know is that he does give me grace and love.
     The biggest challenge for me is trying to understand why God would forgive me all the sins I have committed, am committing and will commit down the road.  That is way huge and I have a very difficult time putting my mind around what I am unable to fully understand that action.  That he would die for me is crazy.  I'm glad he did.  I understand the principle involved and even understand that there was a need.  I don't understand why I continue to sin after taking his grace and love.  I don't understand why I hold onto sin when doing so is illogical.  But I do.  I just don't understand some things. 
     So, if I understand this correctly, this is what it looks like to me.  I was born dead and came to life when I acted selfishly and took from God the forgiveness of my sins which I did not deserve.  Yep.  Now I will never die and will have the love of God always around me and in me...even when I cannot see it.  In the end, my selfish heart died and an unselfish one was brought to life in order that I might see all the blessings of God and pass them onto others. 
     I do understand the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment