Friday, July 11, 2014

Life in the fast lane

     When I was in my late teens I was convinced that there was no life worth living past 30.  Thirty was that dreaded age that people became too old to be worth anything.  It was a common thought for my friends as well.  We just didn't want to be that ancient.  We feared, in part, that we would become like our parents who just didn't understand life.  At least not like we understood life. 
     Now, I know, some of you reading this post know that I'm 61 and have long since passed the 30 mark twice.  I guess that makes me doubly 30.  For the part about understanding me, that may be an accurate view of people of all ages.  I'm fat with gray hair (mostly) and can't move around like I did when I was 18.  My ability to not argue as much is the opposite of then when I argued about everything.  I even argued when there was no point to be made.   I went to wild biker movies and wanted to be just like them...wild and free.  But, they usually were killed.
     Don't get me wrong; I still am dreaming some of the dreams I had at 18.  I've also laid to rest some of the unrealistic dreams of my youth.  My dreams are more balanced today with Christian reality.  I'm convinced that these dreams are okay even if they never transpire.  I'm also convinced that God has things planned for me that will bring me great joy.  He said so.
     Many would argue that being a Christian ruined my ability to really let loose and enjoy life as they see it.  They would argue that my life is boring and needs some excitement.  Perhaps even some risky behavior.  Just to answer those points; I do enjoy my life, my life is anything but boring, and I still do risky things.  Perhaps living on the edge would describe my life best.  When I look at the great Christians of yesterday their was a lot of risk in their lives.  For most it started in their teen years and culminated in their old age.  Now who is boring?!
     There are lessons to be learned here.  The first is to never quit.  Quitting anything has been a last resort option for me.  The more important, the harder focused I become.  Quitting isn't engaging and engaging is living life to it's fullest.  God has brought about many changes in my life that enabled me to live it to my fullest.  I've done things and gone places that many of my peers think impossible.  They really didn't know me.  Some of them have quit life. 
     The second lesson to learn is that we don't know everything when we are young.  In fact the more I have learned the more I am convinced that I know very little.  Having completed 2 masters programs and almost the equivalent of a third, written one book (almost published 2nd one), and traveled the world; I would say my life has taken knowledge and brought wisdom into much of my life.  I can't say all of my life as I've made some monumental bad decisions in life.  Yet, God understands and forgives me when I repent.
     The third lesson is that we need to pass on to all of our children that which is most important and help them in any way we can to follow Jesus instead of the world.  I have had the privilege of praying with most of my children (7) as they accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.  What an accomplishment!  God is so good!  It's my prayer that my children learn that which I have learned and avoid that which I've done badly.  After all of this time, I'm still making mistakes.  Even as God forgives me; I pray that my children and grandchildren do the same.  That will be a positive pattern for their lives as well.
     The fourth lesson is to burn out our lives for Christ.  I don't want to be the Christian who retires from his/her job and then retires from being available to God.  God does not endorse retirement.  We should take the example of the Biblical men and women whose lives were spent out for God even to their very last breath. 
     The fifth and final lesson is to be at peace with God, yourself and others.  Jesus said that we could have his peace.  I'm pretty sure that peace is extremely wonderful.  But it cost him.  Now, it will cost us.  If we lose sight of the goal we won't see the peace.  If we lose sight of the work we won't see peace.  If we don't do anything for God we won't have peace.  So, strive to let go of your life and invite Jesus to be the author and finisher of your faith.  Stand fast and don't be defeated by the enemy.  Be at peace because you know the last chapter of the book of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment