Sunday, July 27, 2014

Is outrage okay for today?

     Well, the short answer is yes.  However we have a whole 2 pages to fill so I'll take the long answer this time! :)  The first dilemma we face is that of definition.  Even confining "outrage" to the Christian and Biblical definition can bring up any number of interpretations.  So, we will use my understanding of the word and usage of the word.  I believe outrage, like many other loaded words, can have negative and positive connotations.  Additionally, outrage can evoke diverse reactions when used in a group or even just with your best friend.  Outrage is a subject best left alone to avoid conflict some would say.  What do you say.
     The very first time I witnessed outrage was when I was young.  The outrage was my fathers beating of me.  The outrage was doubled by the fact that no one would stop him.  Over the years, until I left home, The outrage would be repeated over and over.  For the most part I have left that outrage behind.  There is discipline and then there is beatings.  Discipline isn't found in discipline.  When and where outrage is found there is a violation of human rights.  Seeking justice or fairness also brings up outrage.  On earth, there is no justice. 
     I remember a number of years ago when I learned that my sister had cancer.  She was and remains my main person of support in all things this life has to deal with.  I was outraged that she had cancer.  Why had this happened to her?  I'm still  outraged and she has had a second bout of cancer since the first encounter.  All is in remission but I still find my outrage very close to the surface.  There is an important connection here.  I love my sister than practically anyone else on earth.  The thread of losing her brings about my outrage because I fear losing her.  This is understandable. 
     Then my brother was diagnosed with cancer.  I was again outraged for the same reasons.  He wasn't so fortunate with the outcome as cancer killed him.  An unjust end to cancer and reinforcement that justice is blind.  Why?  That's the million dollar question.  Why?  The cancer took my mom in just months.  Why?  Then cancer struck my other older sister.  Why?  She was fortunate as the cancer was treated and she is still cancer free.  Why some and not others?  I don't know. 
     I believe God was outraged when this took place.
     Couched together outrage and understanding are a long way apart.  But isn't it outrage that prods us on to try and find a cure?  If we didn't have outrage there wouldn't be any impetus for our aggressively attacking this problem.  So, if God is outraged, and he is, then we can also be outraged.  We shouldn't have mercy for cancer. 
     How can I say these things?  Because I just had a cancer scare.  I was outraged.  Not that I didn't deserve the disease; but rather that the disease would and does affect so many.  The 3 weeks of waiting for test results was exceedingly draining and even today I still feel exhausted.  It's like I have just finished a major project or driven through Seattle during rush hours!  I'm very fortunate that I don't have cancer.  That doesn't mean I won't somewhere down the road. 
     It's outrage that cause us to do extraordinary feats to protect or even rescue a child or other vulnerable person.  It's outrage we communally feel over an injustice unleashed upon us.  It's outrage when we feel let down by those we counted as brothers or sisters.  Outrage is governed by expectation.  When we expect much the outrage when expressed is much greater.  When we expect little the outrage is very hard to find.  Protection of others can also govern our reaction.  All of this depends on how important that person is to us.  Will we give up our lives for another? 
     That's the question that Jesus puts before us?  It took the mercy and grace of Christ to settle the outrage the Father felt towards those who have continually doing the devils work.  I did that for years.  I was dead spiritually at that time.  No excuse is alright though.  The Father sent the Son to be the go between God and I.  It is outrageous that someone like me should deserve the love of God.  But, that's how much God loves you and me.  It's with great pleasure that I bring you the news that God's anger doesn't burn against his children anymore.  Christ has made atonement for us.  Some may think this is outrageous that a sinner like me could be forgiven.  Perhaps a sinner like you has wanting to hear this for a long time. 
     Peace be unto you!

No comments:

Post a Comment