Sunday, May 28, 2017

Try looking at things from God's point of view!

     I've thought of myself and others have described me as an eternal optimist.  Trying to always look on the positive instead of the negative.  Doesn't always work though.  No, there have been times and even years when I didn't feel or act like God was in charge of my world for good.  I knew all along that that was what the Bible said.  So did you probably.  Knowing that the God of all knowledge knew everything that was going on and could still say that what we were going through was for his good and subsequently our good.  His desire to work out his will in our lives meets stiff competition with our wills.  Which, by the way, he created as well for his glory.  I've lived with and around negative people all my life.  Yet, when Christ came into my life they didn't go away!  Why was that?  I know!  Because God was using them to bring about his will for my life and working for good to overcome evil.  I didn't like it though.  However, again when Christ came into my life a spark of optimism was birthed that hasn't been quelled.  Having gone through much, I can speak with authority about the struggle of seeing life from God's view instead of my view.  Though I continually have to lay my life down, God never has to put aside his will to bless me and others through me if I will only do so. 
     On June 13, 2009 I awoke from surgery and discovered that I was paralyzed from the waist down.  Now, what could possibly be good about that.  It's hard to stay positive and look at moments like this when you are panicking over not being able to use your legs when all you came in for was shoulder surgery.  The good news was that I was able to regain the use of my legs though some residual damage limits my body.  Why did it happen?  For the glory of God!  I didn't say that for 2 1/2 years.  I bottled up, let my PTSD run rampant and refused to be positive about the whole incident.  I was so angry and depressed that I couldn't even imagine why God had allowed this to happen in my life.  I still don't have all the answers but I do know that the incident and recovery has been a testimony to God of his graciousness and power.  He changed my point of view to his point of view.  Many have had similar things happen to them.  Some have recovered and some have not.  Many have remained steadfast believing that the will of the Lord was taking place for His good and eventually were able to see the good for them.  We don't embrace the negative looking for the positive as a general rule.  That's when we are seeing things from our view.
     My career has been varied.  I spent many years as a mental health therapist.  I've also had 17 other vocations God has taken me through for his glory.  It sounds funny but when I talk about my past I see the view from God's point of view.  Looking back I can see his hand in each position I took and the transition to the next position.  When His work was done in one place he brought me to another place for His work.  I embraced this point of view while being derided by friends, relatives and even employers.  That's because they looked at my life through the lenses of their own making.  Through out my life I've been able to focus through His point of view and help others to do the same.  One of my favorite saying is: "What's the worst that could happen...that I die and go to Heaven?  That's not so bad."  THAT is the eventual goal in my life.  He isn't done with me yet.  There are things to do and places to go and people to see and tell the Story.  There will be many unknowns until that time and I have the choice to either look at my life and it's goings on from my point of view or I can look at each day as it's unveiled seeing it from God's point of view.  I'll choose the latter.  Remember that it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment