Saturday, May 13, 2017

"Because I said so!" doesn't work

     From birth through to death there will be people who claim their authority simply by saying, "Because I told you so!"  It's been used by most every parent I know, most of my bosses, and of course our wonderful political and judicial system.  The statement begs the reason for it's statement in the first place.  That would be the "But why?" whine.  We want the answer to questions.  Sometimes the answers are easy.  Sometimes the answers are hard and sometimes there seem to be no answers or need for them.  When the questions aren't answered we tend to go to someone else who will answer the question.  I was reading the news online yesterday and there was a very interesting (but wrong) article on the 8 times it's okay to lie to your children.  You read that right.  Society justifying our sin.  I'm not saying we have to have a ready answer to all the questions all of the time.  I am stating that "I don't know." is a great answer when we don't know.  Yet, the world has conditioned even the Christian to lie in order to be in control and revered.  That's not what God wants though.  What about God?  Did he say, "Because I said so!"  Nope.  He didn't.  He did make authoritative statements that should be accepted because of the love that drives them.  Yet, we don't want his love or we wouldn't disobey.  We want to be the god of our own world.
     Living here on earth is evidence enough of the influence we have received and produced ourselves by proclaiming "Because I told you so!"  Yet, God has told us that we don't need to defend ourselves when we follow those teachings he has given to us.  He's made a way for us to not find ourselves in that problem if we would only take it.  I've been asked so many times questions regarding my faith in Christ and the basis for that faith.  I've told as many people that the Bible has the answer to all of the questions if we would read and apply our Christian faith.  When feeling cornered we need only refer to God.  We don't need to have all of the questions life throws at us.  We can't do so because we are finite beings with boundaries on what we know and what we don't.  Simply put, we needn't find ourselves at that place where any defense is necessary.  The Gospel isn't a defensive statement to the world.  The Gospel is an offensive (meant in both ways) statement to the world.  The very Word that can bring life to the dead enables us to bring His wisdom and love to a hurting and needy world.  It pains me when I see churches and people individually subverting the Gospel with another gospel which isn't a gospel at all.  Knowing that we have a Creator who loves us and wants us to share our love to others is enough.  God's the only one who has all the answers.
     When I was younger I thought I knew a lot about most every subject in life.  I was wrong.  The more educated and experienced I became the more I knew how little I really knew.  My answers went from gestimates or opinions to not having the answers.  I've learned that the more I know, the less I know.  Maybe you do as well.  As this truth has sunk in I'm able to better steer people to the One who does have the answer and not feel like I need to be the champion of the moment.  It's because of this realization that I can appreciate the Scripture telling us to not lord what we do know over others.  If God hadn't provided the answers, there would be no answers at all.  I'm not sure Christians are willing to go to that place in their lives.  I still struggle with it.  Perhaps you do as well.  Remember that Christ is sufficient in all ways.  He was tempted in all ways.  He overcame in all ways.  He has the answers and he's never told me "Because I said so!"  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment