Tuesday, May 2, 2017

There is much to learn if Christians will be silent.

     Humans aren't a quite lot.  There seems to be an aversion to silence.  Silence doesn't mean the time when the kids finally are asleep.  Nor does it mean being out in nature camping while escaping the multiple demands of being at home.  Silence doesn't come easily to many.  I have my own understanding of silence.  Since becoming a Christian, the most significant Scripture is when Jesus was asked who he was and he remained silent.  He was silent in other times as well.  The God we serve is sometimes silent and we get anxious about why he is silent.  We wait for the "other foot to drop" and then are disappointed when that doesn't happen.  Silence is not welcome in many Christian circles and certainly is reflected in our prayer time if you have one.  Paul encourages us to be instant in season and out in giving an account of the hope that is within us.  The other disciples have also written much about waiting on God.  There is much to be learned about ourselves if we would only be silent AND listen to the voice of God.  Have you heard the voice of God?  Have you heard the Holy Spirit talk to you?  If you haven't, why not?  When I do my devotions every morning do I hear the voice of God in Scripture?  Yes, I do.  When I sit before God and listen with him being the focus of my time, do I hear the voice of God?  Yes, I do.  When I ask God to examine me and show me where I need to surrender, do I hear the Holy Spirit answer my prayers?  Yes, I do. 
     That doesn't mean that I will do what God tells me.  Nor does it mean that I'll have an instant answer to my prayers and supplications.  It doesn't mean that I am all knowing and have all the answers.  Sometimes there are no answers.  We, as Christians, need to be okay with no answers.  It's part of the training of God that enables us to have patience with His will for our lives.  Having occupied the throne of impatience I know the cost of not listening, not doing and of course not waiting.  Maybe you have as well.  It's difficult when I look around me and see such a need.  Why is that?  Because I haven't been silent enough or long enough to hear the voice of God speaking to me.  What I've demanded is that God listen to me and take immediate action!  Not going to happen.  The Bible tells us that the prayers of the righteous will be heard.  First I need to come to God and make sure my heart is in a state of righteous in God's eyes.  Doing so may mean going and make wrongs right before we take communion.  Yes, that's Scriptural.  Doing so means taking time to not just ask for forgiveness but to be repentant of our sins.  Yes, that's Scriptural as well.  Second, we need to listen to God AND believe what he tells us to do, what to say, and what to act like.  Yes, that's Scriptural as well.
     The final aspect of being a silent Christian is to know when to keep our mouths shut!  I have had a very hard time with that.  It's okay for my mouth to be open when God is speaking.  It's not okay if it comes from Steve.  Yet, there are Christians who tell others "I'm telling you this in God's love..." and then launch into why your life is wrong because they compare your life to their perfect life.  Telling me something in "Christian love" doesn't give it the power of God.  It gives us the feeling that we've been wrong, are wrong and will be wrong.  When someone tells you something and you have been silent before God, you can hear, feel and sense the presence of God.  If you haven't been there before seek to be there now.  Take some time to just be before the Triune God of the universe who is unfolding your life as it's supposed to be.  If we allow the Holy Spirit to speak to us when we are silent and then live the life God wants, others will hear Jesus through our life as we live that life.  The real question is what we choose.  We can either choose to serve God or we can choose to not serve God.  Being silent is always a choice and remember, it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment