Friday, December 2, 2016

Maybe you don't handle Christmas because...

     I'd like to start this blog by letting you know that I have difficulty with major events throughout the year because of my complex PTSD, chronic fatigue and chronic pain.  They are invisible to the average person's eyes but there none the least.  Maybe you too struggle with some or all of these things.  My personality is to not share my "face" to others because I don't want to burden them with all the added stuff that goes on in their lives.  So, I have a number of tactics that I use to help all of us move through Christmas and other times as well.  First, my family and friends (true) know about my conditions and what triggers me.  I don't expect them to make decisions for me or to tiptoe around because they don't want to see me upset.  They too need to have a great Christmas and deserve to not be over burdened.  So, I try to give every day to Christ to run.  That's not easy sometimes.  I don't hate to shop but shopping seems to be part of the package that triggers me.  More succinctly, it's the crowds!  Crowds seem to be selfish centered.  So, I plan on shopping when it's most sane for me.  Late night shopping or shopping during dinner time is a good choice.  The amount of stuff to be done at home, food preparation, gifts to be wrapped, house to be cleaned...the list goes on and on.  So, I began dealing with some of these right after Thanksgiving.  My gifts are mostly wrapped, the shopping is mostly done, and no, he house isn't cleaned!
     The Bible holds so much wisdom for the holidays and yet most Christians don't turn there.  I try to make an extra effort to daily read the Bible, listen to spiritual songs (not necessarily Christmas songs) and to focus my attention on what blessings there are all around me.  I keep a journal where I write about these things.  I also put down my struggles which are not so much different than the Biblical characters that I read about.  Knowing that I am not alone is very important.  Even if those whom I relate to/with are long dead.  The birth of Christ and the "players" during that time all make an important contribution to a positive attitude.  Over the years I have learned that they too all have an individual history and perspective that they bring to the table.  So, knowing I am not alone, I can help others to know that they aren't alone.  It's called Christian love.  Some have it and some don't.  Pray for those who don't.  They are missing the point of the birth in the first place.  It so happens that I've been reading through the Bible for quite some time.  I just happened to be reading Isaiah since just before Thanksgiving.  The prophecies of God about the coming Savior are incredible!  They help me focus on what's important and it's not the world's Christmas.  It's God's Christmas with the birth of Christ.
     Like many Christians I have fractured or strained relationships with some of my family and some of my friends.  Since they haven't been healed over the years I don't bury my head in the sand and pretend that everything is okay.  It's not.  What I do is to live each day with hope that prayer and love can breach the chasm between us.  Then I leave it in God's hands.  Those God wants in my life will be there and those he doesn't won't be there.  I need to be satisfied with those who are in my life and have allowed me to be in their lives.  There are many.  Complaining doesn't help anyone so I try to not complain about my relationships.  Often it's been my actions, attitude and such that has brought the estrangement there in the first place.  I still yearn to have good relationships with all who are around me.  Who wouldn't?  Not pretending that everything is okay is okay.  Be real and be kind and loving.  Your mercy may be the only mercy that others experience.  There are so many unfortunate people all around us.  Jesus said that he came to reach the sinner.  If you admit you are a sinner as I am, then he came to reach you and I equally.  I hope that you and I have a wonderful holiday season and that our central focus is Jesus.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment