Friday, July 1, 2016

Not all who wander are lost...well some are!

    When I was much younger I would have rather gone home than to ask for directions much less take directions from someone!  I didn't and don't get lost very often.  My sense of direction is good and I have GPS which guides me well.  When I turned 40ish I began to remove some of my childish beliefs.  Asking for directions was new for me and really new for those riding with me.  But, as I've aged, I now ask for directions before I waste valuable time and gas.  Maybe you do the same?  I used to be a competitor on the road as well.  My families irritation as I passed another off ramp when they needed a potty break is a good example.  I didn't want all those cars I had passed to get back ahead of me!  Foolishness!  That too has gone the way of the lost.  It's a good thing as I've slowed down my life in these ways and many more.  It used to be, in my life, that the shortest distance between two points was the way to go.  Not so anymore.  I like to discover all that I've missed over the years by not looking to the right or the left.  It's important we take the time to smell the roses and discover that really good burger in that little town in Iowa. 
     Christians are called to be wanderers.  Not that they are excused for not wandering; they are excused.  Spiritual wandering is not like physical wandering.  It's true that we have a journey to go on from time of conversion to transferring to Heaven for good.  That journey is described as the straight and narrow path that leads to life.  Many Christians take the side roads (like me) and have to be drawn back to the straight and narrow.  The sin inside of us draws us away from the narrow way designed to keep our focus.  Whether it be the priorities in our lives or the distractions, we give in to them and all of a sudden are in South Dakota when we were supposed to be in North Dakota!  Within the boundaries of our states there are signs posted welcoming us to this state or that city.  The roads are there to take us to those states and cities.  What happens if we go off the road?  Well, we could get lost, we could find something new, or we could just take a moment and see something new.  That's what Eve did.  She was near "that tree" when the serpent tempted her with what wasn't on the straight and narrow.  She didn't get back on the road.  She didn't go back to the place where she knew she was safe.  She ate the fruit and the road disappeared. 
     Living for God is "plan A".  Living for anything else is "plan B".  We make those determinations every day many times a day.  Sometimes we choose plan A and sometimes we choose plan B.  Both choices have consequences.  Plan A choices always have positive and good consequences.  Plan B always leads to less than or negative consequences.  Our choices of plan A and plan B are relegated to our needs versus our wants.  We can choose to have a simpler life and let God take care of our needs or we can choose to have a more complex life and choose Plan B where we are having our wants drive our living.  I need food.  I want unhealthy food.  I need water.  I want that diet cola.  I need sexual intimacy.  I want that other partner.  I need fellowship with other believers.  I want fellowship with other sinners.  Justifying our wants helps us to avoid making the right decision.  It's always easier to choose plan B if we have someone we can either take along or who has joined our plan B choice.  The difference is dramatic!  Accountability is something we all need.  When we choose plan B we are holding ourselves accountable.  When we choose plan A we are being held accountable by God.  When we are in the midst of plan B we choose others who will support our wandering.  When we choose plan A we don't need the applaud of others.  I'd rather hear "well done thou good and faithful servant" than "why are you listening to other gods?" 
     Choose this day whom you wander with.  It's a life changer.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment