Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The lesson learned the hard way usually stays with you.

     I once took a group of men on a camping weekend on Mt Rainier in Washington state.  There were 14 of us.  I was a therapist and they all had addiction issues of one sort or another.  We camped in Sunrise at about 6000 feet.  During our stay there we took a long hike to a fire lookout station.  The walk was all uphill with about a 1000 foot gain in elevation.  We were about halfway there when one of the men told me he just couldn't go on.  He wasn't going to make it to the goal.  I encouraged him and explained to him that the goal was a lot closer than he thought.  He looked up the trail and laughed at me.  He was a big man and the excess weight along with being out of shape contributed to his laughter.  He finally asked me what I meant.  I told him the goal wasn't the fire lookout tower bur rather the next step.  If he focused just on the next step he could make the goal.  He didn't need to think beyond that one step until he made that step.  One step at a time.  I also moved him to the front of the line and let him lead the rest of the men to the tower one step at a time.  So often we sit back and get discouraged, exhausted and irritated with the journey to the goal when all along it was just the next step.
     What I'm trying to tell you is that we know, as Christians, that the goal is to arrive in heaven and hear "well done thou good and faithful servant."  We know this.  It's not new to anyone who embraces the faith.  What we do in between is the problem; or at least we make it the problem.  This morning I created my "wish list" for the day.  There are a lot of things I'd like to get done but know I most likely won't finish them all.  So, first of all it looks like a set up to fail.  The goal isn't to do ALL on the list.  The list is something I use as a guide to reach the daily goal of being productive.  If I finish one thing on my list I've reached my goal.  I can always do the other things another time should the Lord tarry in bringing me home.  One step at a time, one task at a time.  For many of us we came to a life in Christ and a desire was born in each of us to bring our world to Christ.  When we met resistance we were disheartened and frustrated.  Some of us even felt guilty for not doing, being or saying what would have brought others to Christ.  It's all wrong.  Just as Christ came into our lives one at a time, we are to disciple the "nations" one soul at a time.  It's nice that some can stand on a soap box at a busy intersection and over a bullhorn expound the need for those passing by to accept Jesus.  I've done that.  Most of the work instead is done one on one in the most common of ways.  Bringing a gift to a new neighbor, comforting a friend who has lost their spouse, holding the hand of someone who just found out they have cancer.  The list goes on but the response is the same.  One at a time and being Christ to that person.
     One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that I need to have an inventory of hats to wear when I'm with people.  To wear only one hat is to limit those who you are able to share Christ with.  While a pastor and later a counselor I learned that my "hat" had to be changed every time I encountered a new person, new story, new loss.  That's what Christ did.  Why shouldn't I do so as well?  Paul talks about two principles.  The first thing is dying to self so that Christ can live through me.  The second is "being all things to all people that some might be saved."  Paul got it.  Christ living through you may take you to some uncomfortable places.  Go there anyway.  What is the worst that can happen?  Some might say no but the seed has been planted.  The Bible says that the word of God will never return void.  It will, once lived and spoken not return empty.  God through the Holy Spirit will water that seed, provoke that seed and watch it grow to the point where that person gives their life to Christ.  Just as it's their choice in their time, it's always your choice as well.  Choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment