Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Do we need to take life so seriously?

     Years ago while I was a pastor I contacted the Billy Graham organization to see what availability he had to go out and do an evangelism event.  I was told that he didn't have an opening in his schedule for the next three years!  I've been involved in legal issues over the years and it's not unusual for a court date to be set 1 to 2 years out.  Planning on getting a house built?  In some places the wait to get the permit is 2 years!  What are we doing that takes up all of our future?  We plan this, envision that, and commit ourselves way beyond our means.  For what?  Jesus said, "take no thought of tomorrow.  Tomorrow has enough cares of it's own."  Martha in a moment of indignation asked the Lord if he was concerned that Mary wasn't doing anything but attending to him.  He said that Mary recognized that she had Jesus with her only a short time and housecleaning could wait.  Paul said he died daily to self and all that self contains.  What's wrong with me, you, us?  Why do we get so caught up in the cares of the world and miss the life Jesus has for us?
     I have a greenhouse, an orchard  and a very large garden.  I also have a chicken coop and yard along with 8 laying hens.  I don't have to worry about any of them.  The greenhouse bears it's fruit in it's time just as the garden and orchard do.  The chickens lay 1 egg a day and with regular clockwork.  I don't have to worry about any of that.  God brings the rain, sun and even the dry times so that HE can provide this world for me.  In turn, I can do the same for him.  I know that the homeless don't need jackets in the summer.  They need them in the fall/winter.  They need shoes all year around.  Underwear don't go out of style in any season.  They get fresh fruit, vegetables during the summer but not in the winter.  For everything there is a season that is set in place by God.  For His purpose and for blessings to me and those around me.  The shelters need blankets and pillows in the winter.  I have extra just for that purpose.  What I don't use I give away.  Why?  Because tomorrow I may be in heaven and not need any of this.  Why hold onto things when things can't go with you? 
     I grew up abused.  Physical, sexual, emotional and psychologically.  I've been traumatized more times than I can count.  I've been involved as a police officer in a shooting where a man died. I've had a heart attack and double bypass surgery.  I've woke up from shoulder surgery being paralyzed from the waist down.  I've been broke and without food.  I've been homeless and lived.  These things are incidentals.  Small things that I've gone through so that I can spend time listening....listening...and more listening.  People have a story to tell that they want someone, anyone, to hear!  But, people are rushing about their lives seeking what they can get, what they want, and what they can consume themselves.  It's an "I" world that we live in.  Instant gratification with long term expectations that despite ourselves we will be blessed overflowing.  Why should that be?  The Bible says there are prophecies to be fulfilled before Jesus returns to take us home.  Have you looked at them?  There will be wars and rumors of wars, brother will turn against father and daughter against mother.  The nations will rise up against each other and YET the end won't come.  We pretend that the end will never come.  What if it were to come tomorrow and we knew it?
     It's your choice, finish the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment