Monday, July 11, 2016

Meanwhile, God is still in control!

     It's been a week since I last wrote.  My internet was down and they took their sweet time fixing it.  Turns out that everything is going as God planned and I'm not worrying about missing the week. 
     During this past week I did many different things involving projects, chores and I even (gasp!) had fun!  God doesn't want us to not have fun.  He's strictly against boredom and inactivity.  God wants us to have a mix in life so that "all work and no play makes Steve a bored man."  Now my idea and your idea of "fun" might be different.  Fun to me is planting and maintaining my 3 acres of land.  I love to get free plants and transplant them to various areas of this place.  Last week I received 5 large mature Mongo Pines and 16 large and mature Cottoneaster.  They are now all planted and doing well.  Fun was also involved in my garden picking vegetables and having fresh homemade food with them.  Fun also involved me continuing the building of my new trailer.  I've been able to do all of these activities and have "fun" because God has created in me two things:  desire and ability.  When I talk of my garden, the plantings and my trailer I also make sure that others know that it was God who provided all of them.  it was God who provided the space, the rain, the sunshine, the materials and yes, even the labor even if it's only mine! 
     My relationship with God is fun as well.  People get so wound up and miss the point of life.  That point is to live the life God wants us to live and to be happy with all that we think, say and do because it pleases the God who loved us so much that he died for our lives, our salvation.  That wasn't fun.  My life before Christ wasn't fun.  It was confused, tedious, and unfulfilling.  That wasn't fun either.  Where those existed I also tried to cover them over with the world's idea of fun.  There were the days I did drugs, did alcohol and did sex in the quest of covering over the pain of the "unfun".  King Solomon (David's son) found nothing that could give him contentment and the ability to have fun.  He has written that he has tried it all and nothing filled the void in his life.  Paul wrote that he was "consumed" for Christ and many times during his life found fun when he wasn't looking for it.  Fun for him was to see as many as possible come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior.  Fun was seeing the people living as Jesus intended caring for one another and loving each other.  John, and the rest of the disciples, went to wedding feasts where Jesus turned water into wine.  Fun!  I imagine they had many times when they stopped to play.  Do you? 
     We make our world what it is.  We do this by believing that we need to make it the way we want it.  That's not smart.  When we do this we eliminate God's plan A and settle for plan B or less.  God wants our prayer life to be fun as well whenever we engage him.  Adrian, my friend, prayed with me and told God a joke!  Can you imagine straight laced Christians doing such a thing?  God wants to invade ALL of our life.  What's your choice?  It's all your choice but there is only one choice that makes sense.  Choose to die to self and let Christ live through you.  It's a choice and can be fun.  Choose wisely whom you will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment